Menu

Math Mammoth vs Singapore vs Saxon...need experts out there help (dd9)

Alaska Mom

SO I'm REALLY struggling with math curric. switch to the unknown. Need help.

Ok so we did Right Start for k and 1st and loved it, went to public school for 2nd and 3rd, then homeschool this year back with RS for 4th. RS program ends with 4th, but we may do RS G (geometry) as a supplement over next 2 years.

My confusion:

1. My instinct ( from reading reviews) is avoid spiral, which I think rules out Saxon, also but I know some smart math kids who use it and I have smart math kid

2. A homeschool friend recommended Math U See, looked at Epsilon ( grade 5) and it's JUST fractions. Don't like the sequencing of concepts , and just looks painful to me. We may tackle this as a summer curric. to master fractions but overall definitely thinking not for us.

3. Singapore seems like a good switch over from RS, but I have never seen the curric. In my hands which is hard for me to decide on, and I know no one who is using it, just not sure about it

4. In my research of Singapore, I found suggestions for Math Mammoth and like what I've read - challenging, mastery not spiral, great mental math and teaching understanding and thinking skills vs. memorization.

So, totally unsure, I think I'm leaning toward Math Mammoth at the top, Singapore in 2nd place

Any advice that might help from you experts out there? A

I know I'm not an expert. We love Singapore Math, standards edition. Go to cbd.com to look at samples. They had the best offering of samples of Singapore Math that I could find. Definitely look at the HIG. I have a friend using the US edition and she said the standards edition HIG was laid out much better than the US. But, anyway, they have both editions and have a good sampling to look at.

I tried Math Mammoth. Didn't care for it. But my ds is young and I wanted more teacher involvement. MM was too easy for me to hand him a page and walk away. That's not what either of us wanted.

Just a caution with Singapore. You may want her to take the placement test. It may wind up that she places too low in the series just because of how different Singapore teaches. I think it would be hard to jump in at the end of Singapore because there is such a specific way it teaches how to do word problems and mental math. So, look at samples and do the placement test.

Beth