Menu

Moving to Northeastern Oklahoma

We FINALLY got word that we are definitely moving to Northeast Oklahoma. I have been up there 3 times, my husband none..lol We are going up in 3 weeks to 'town hunt'. Try to find a general area we want to live. My mom and dad live in Inola. I LOVE Tulsa as my 'main town' so I would like to be no more than 45 minutes from Inola and Tulsa..a bit closer would be better. I love the Claremore area. I also need a good sized lake in short driving distance (we are avid fishermen here..lol). I like hills after living in super flat land my whole life.

We are looking to hobby farm on no less than 20 acres.

Where do I need to be looking up there? Do you all have suggestions on towns to add to our 'must visit' list in 3 weeks?

I'm not too familiar with the Tulsa area, but welcome to Oklahoma!!!! I have family in Skiatook and know they enjoy the Skiatook Lake. There are lots of pretty places in the NE part of the state though. Hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy your new home:001_smile:

I cannot offer you any info on OK, I just want to say that before you leave Cajun country you better establish some mail order sources. You will find it a little harder to find your familiar cooking brands.

ZatarainsDOTcom is a good one to start with, they carry the basics. You will likely find Tony Chachere's in the store but some other spices may be challenging to find. You might want to stock up before you move; if you have favorite seasoned meat (thinking sausage and tasso), see if your favorite sellers will do mail order. You will be able to get flash frozen fish and shrimp, but you won't find coastal seafood fresh or frozen in water.

On the upside, you'll get terrific steaks and fresh corn on the cob. :D Have fun home-hunting!

The beauty of it is is that my husband will be working down here still. He'll be down here in South Louisiana every 2 weeks. I'm already planning on him bringing back crawfish fixins at least 2 times a year! I will definitely stock up on what we use daily though!

The beauty of it is is that my husband will be working down here still. He'll be down here in South Louisiana every 2 weeks. I'm already planning on him bringing back crawfish fixins at least 2 times a year! I will definitely stock up on what we use daily though!

Wow, that's a great connection! He can be your cayenne mule... :lol:

I'm in the Claremore area :) We have 60 (110 counting family acreage) acres. We love the space and proximity to Tulsa and big city events. However, land prices have increased dramatically here since we moved (in 1992). Owasso is a wonderful small town with big city amenities and is very close to Tulsa (airport). Land prices have increased out there as well. Collinsville is a bedroom community to Owasso and is much more affordable. We just went antiquing there last week and my son said that he thinks he would enjoy living in Collinsville. It has a small town mom/pop feel to it which we no longer have in Claremore. Look also at Sand Springs (just northwest of Tulsa) - it is also a fun small town which is a bedroom community to Tulsa. If you don't mind a longer drive to Tulsa take a look at Chelsea which is north of Claremore about 20 minutes - puts you into Tulsa in about 50 minutes. Things are very inexpensive there and it is very close to Oologah Lake (large lake for boating, fishing, and water skiing). The town of Oologah is also sweet - very small, but growing. You will find Will Rogers birthplace ranch outside of Oologah. The town is right on Hwy 169 so it's a straight shot into Tulsa (about 15-20 minutes max).

Welcome to the area!

I would suggest looking between Claremore and Skiatook or maybe out toward Sand Springs (several lakes out that way). Mannford is right on the lake, though that may be too far from Tulsa/Inola for your liking. Good luck in your hunt; hope you're able to find something perfect!