Menu

Question re: Mem. Press Henle I Guide

Those of you who use Henle, do you also you the Memoria Press Guide? How helpful is it? Would you recommend it as

a) a "must-have"

b) a "must-have" only if you need daily lesson plans laid out for you

c) helpful, but not necessary

d) not worth the extra $$$

Thanks!

It moves at a pretty slow pace (The first guide only covers Units I & II), which can be too slow for an older student who can handle a quicker pace.

I have been using it this year w/my 7th gr. dd, and it has been a perfect fit for her. She never complains that she is not understanding the Latin, and she is retaining the material. I quiz her every week, and test every few weeks.

Laura Berquist also has a syllabus which contains a slower and faster track. I have not seen it, so I can't comment on it.

I really, really like the MP guide. I think a slower pace for Latin is best, when you have the time for it. Some don't begin Henle until the high school years, so they will either need to use a different guide, or move at a faster pace w/the MP guide.

I ordered these several years ago based on recommendations on this Board. Unfortunately, I never used them because my oldest, who had been doing Henle with a tutor, moved into our Florida Virtual School Latin and my other dc so far have followed suit. So here they sit on my shelf, waiting for possible use with my younger dc one day!

I have four guides: The Teacher's Manual for Henle Latin Series First and Second Years, the Answer Key to First Year Latin, Latin Progress Tests First Year and the Teacher's Edition for the First Year Tests.

As best as I can recall, this syllabus goes through Henle more quickly than the Memoria Press guide. The Teacher's Manual are teaching notes that accompany the First and Second Years. I also recall that they were fairly inexpensive and arrived very quickly after I ordered.

I don't have much more information, but I would suggest asking on here about them if you are looking into a Henle study guide as they were recommended highly by several folks a few years back.

HTH,

Lisa

P.S. OLVS stands for Our Lady of Victory School

http://www.olvs.org