Menu

SOTW3 for 2nd grader

UmMusa

Hey,

My current 1st grader has been piggybacking with us since last year starting with SOTW1, and she's been active this year with SOTW2.

Next year she'll be in 2nd grade and my other DD will be in 5th.

Do you think we should continue with SOTW3 with both girls? I can have the 5th grader do outlining and note taking, but I'm wondering about the level of the language and comprehension for the 2nd grader. She can read really well, but is the material too mature or will she be fine?

Thanks for your input.

I think she'll be fine. We did it in 4th grade and found it to be a little less exciting than the first two, but you can supplement with great books at that age. We really liked the Betty Maestro books, and there are tons of easy Early American readers/read alouds you can add. Most are listed in the AG. The projects are pretty good, but again, we found they weren't quite as good as the previous years. YMMV. One good way to get some fun projects in is to cook--there's a fun book called Cooking Up US History that has recipes for each region of the US, along with recipes from the Colonial (and other) period. You could sub one for a week that has projects that are a little on the lame-o side...;)

Just don't worry about much more than exposure at this point and let her enjoy herself. :001_smile: