Menu

Poll: Same program for both kids?

Which option would you choose?  

1. 1. Which option would you choose?

• Stick with the original decision - one in Singapore, one in MUS
    • Put both in MUS - there are benefits to having them both in the same program
    • Put both in Singapore - the younger one should still be able to learn fine
    • Other

Ok, this is a poll to follow up on my math woes thread...

The rundown for those who didn't read it:

DS8 did Saxon 2 last year, did ok but I wasn't a big fan of Saxon. I decided to try Singapore Math with him next year, basically because I've heard such great things about it and I like the look/sound of it (what I've heard, I mean, and I do have some of the workbooks and I like the look of them). He redid his placement test today and would be starting in 2A for sure.

DS6 did Saxon 1 last year and it was awful. He just didn't retain anything from their method. I had decided about halfway through to stick with it the rest of the year, and then move him into MUS next year. When he did the MUS placement test, he got maybe 5 out of 30 right - and this was just on the page with the single -digit addition and subtraction (first page of Alpha placement test), which is all stuff he should have known from a year of Saxon. He just really didn't know the answers. He's more of my hands-on kid, has trouble sitting still, etc, and so I figured MUS would be a good fit for him. He would have to start with MUS Alpha.

Here's my question: I'm trying to decide if I want to do what I had already planned, and put each boy in a different program; put both boys in MUS, so they would both be in the same program, because I *think* DS8 would do ok with MUS, too; or put both boys in Singapore, and not worry about the learning style of DS6 coming into play. The last option is the one I'm least fond of, even though I like Singapore (or think I do.) ;)

So tell me... what would YOU do?

Edited by PeacefulChaos

What is a strength to one person can be a weakness to another. I can see Singapore and MUS as good examples of this.

Both do a good job of breaking things down and showing HOW math works, not just plug and chug (which can be an advantage to some people, but is not ideal for most students IMO).

MUS is great for students who have to actually put their hands on things and touch them, feel them, and also for students who need to focus on one thing at a time and practice, practice, practice it many times before they own it.

Singapore is great for students who pick up on concepts more quickly, with less practice, and are ready to move on. It is great for students who can/prefer to look at a picture and get it, try it a few times and then are ready to move on to something different.

For a child who learns better with MUS, the lack of something to touch (sometimes you can add manipulatives for this if that's the only stumbling point), but it can also be frustrating for some children to switch topics so much. They do better following one thread of thought all the way through, exploring it thoroughly.

On the other side, some students find MUS hopelessly boring as it IS doing the same thing (or almost the same thing) over and over and over again.

If you have one of each, I don't really see any benefit in forcing one child to be like the other either way. This is one of the advantages of homeschooling that we don't have to force our children into educational methods that go against the way that they learn.

What is a strength to one person can be a weakness to another. I can see Singapore and MUS as good examples of this.

Both do a good job of breaking things down and showing HOW math works, not just plug and chug (which can be an advantage to some people, but is not ideal for most students IMO).

MUS is great for students who have to actually put their hands on things and touch them, feel them, and also for students who need to focus on one thing at a time and practice, practice, practice it many times before they own it.

Singapore is great for students who pick up on concepts more quickly, with less practice, and are ready to move on. It is great for students who can/prefer to look at a picture and get it, try it a few times and then are ready to move on to something different.

For a child who learns better with MUS, the lack of something to touch (sometimes you can add manipulatives for this if that's the only stumbling point), but it can also be frustrating for some children to switch topics so much. They do better following one thread of thought all the way through, exploring it thoroughly.

On the other side, some students find MUS hopelessly boring as it IS doing the same thing (or almost the same thing) over and over and over again.

If you have one of each, I don't really see any benefit in forcing one child to be like the other either way. This is one of the advantages of homeschooling that we don't have to force our children into educational methods that go against the way that they learn.

Can I just say that I love you? :lol:

Really, though, this breakdown of the two programs seriously helps me. :)