Menu

Q for HOD Users

5 Hikers

We tried LHFHG at 5, and it was too simple for my dd. She was definitely ready for something more. If you want the schedule for the Emerging Readers and 1st grade math activities, you need to have the Beyond guide. From the samples, it seems like a kid who can do copy work easily would do fine in Beyond.

We gave it up and never tried Beyond (I would tweak so much that its just not worth it), so I can't tell you how much more challenging it is.

Well, LHFHG was perfect this year for my 4.5 yr old turning 5 in Dec. boy. I have tried it for 1st with my older son a few years ago and really felt that we should have started with BLHFHG instead.

I would get BLHFHG from your description and just continue what you are using for reading instruction. LHFHG is a fine K4 or K5 year to me, but I did not feel it was a good 1st grade year.

I would use LHFHG simply because it's K and school should be fun, relaxed, and an introduction to higher learning. You can always do math on level, have her copy her verse, or whatever. It isn't hard to beef it up. It's a great introduction to narration, the Burgess books are fun, and the day is short. We used it for 1st and it was great. The right side of the page is so easy to do on level, while the left side is fun for kids.

You also have to consider if you did Beyond for K, that would put her in Bigger for 1st, Preparing for 2nd grade. That is really young!

Where would you place a child who is still learning to read, but is ready for 1st grade math and can do copywork easily.

I was wondering how much more work is Beyond vs. LHFHG?

I would start with Little Hearts. Little Hearts has a list of books in the appendix that you can use to add content to the history and Bible if you want to do that. We really love Thornton Burgess and enjoyed that portion of the lessons. The Burgess series is very helpful in engaging them in narration. If you haven't already read those then I would definately recommend that you try Little Hearts. The play activities are fun. It is a playful 1st grade that you can easily adapt to whatever level of reading and writing the child is working at when you start and you will have lots of opportunities to see growth in those areas.

I used Little Hearts with a second grade boy. I know, it sounds outlandish but it was a special year for both of us. He decided he liked school and he enjoyed all of Little Hearts. We used our own math and language arts and he sat in on much of his older brother's work with Preparing Hearts. It was enough for us for that year. It was beginning to feel like he was outgrowing it towards the end of the year. I think a 1st grader would enjoy it to the end.

Beyond is good too! :D I think you would be fine with either one.

I was wondering how much more work is Beyond vs. LHFHG?

We didn't use Beyond so I have no input there. Little Hearts plus the other things my son used during that time took him about 2.5 hours a day. Beyond has the schedule for the emerging readers set and begins a light grammar study plus some copywork and more drawing. It is more for the child to do in those areas but I doubt it takes much more time each day than Little Hearts. Maybe someone who has used both can clarify.

[quote I would use LHFHG simply because it's K and school should be fun, relaxed, and an introduction to higher learning. You can always do math on level, have her copy her verse, or whatever. It isn't hard to beef it up. It's a great introduction to narration, the Burgess books are fun, and the day is short. We used it for 1st and it was great. The right side of the page is so easy to do on level, while the left side is fun for kids.

You also have to consider if you did Beyond for K, that would put her in Bigger for 1st, Preparing for 2nd grade. That is really young!

__________________]

Is it for K? I thought she was asking for a 1st grader. If it is a Ker I would go with Little Hearts. You can always add a bit in if you want.