Menu

Bible Study Guide for All Ages- new design?

Zuzu822

I've been eyeing BSGFAA for my first and pre-k boys next year, but I'm unsure about how to approach this. Both are essentially non-readers at this point. Should they both do the Beginner pages (new or old)? Should the 6 yo use the new Primary pages and keep the 4 yo in Beginner? The Primary (grades 1-2) student pages are still being developed, and only lessons 1-104 are completed so he'd likely need pages that aren't finished yet as we continued the program.

Are the old intermediate pages appropriate for an emerging reader or is it better to be fluent? Does anyone know how the new Intermediate design compares to the old?

Thanks for any insight! I'm probably way overthinking this! :tongue_smilie:

I am sort of in the same situation.

I have listed a not below from their website on the primary pages. It's my understanding that the program is meant for a family to do 104 lessons per year to be able to cover the program in four years. I'm planning to do about two lessons per week with not all of the work for each lesson being done on the same day. If you follow their 104 lessons per year, then you'll be fine on timing.

Note: Lessons 105-208 will be released in the spring of 2013, lessons 209-312 in the spring of 2014 and lessons 313-416 in the spring of 2015."

Personally, I would get the Beginner pages for the 6yo as well. We are going to skip the Primary pages and go straight to the Intermediate. I don't want to have to spend twice as much money having to get the teacher pages for the Primary ones. So we go to Intermediate pages around 2nd-3rd grade, depending on the child (and what I've purchased). I'd keep them on the same level, especially if the older one isn't a fluent reader yet. I haven't seen the new Intermediate pages yet. The new Beginner pages are so similar to the old ones, it isn't a big deal (though I did like the old ones better).

I am sort of in the same situation.

I have listed a not below from their website on the primary pages. It's my understanding that the program is meant for a family to do 104 lessons per year to be able to cover the program in four years. I'm planning to do about two lessons per week with not all of the work for each lesson being done on the same day. If you follow their 104 lessons per year, then you'll be fine on timing.

Note: Lessons 105-208 will be released in the spring of 2013, lessons 209-312 in the spring of 2014 and lessons 313-416 in the spring of 2015."

I saw that too, but I was thinking that that level was designed to be used more over two years based on the grade range (1-2) and what I read in another thread about what you need for a full year:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3672020&postcount=4

Of course, that's doing it 4x a week, and like you, I'm leaning more toward 2-3x.

Personally, I would get the Beginner pages for the 6yo as well. We are going to skip the Primary pages and go straight to the Intermediate. I don't want to have to spend twice as much money having to get the teacher pages for the Primary ones. So we go to Intermediate pages around 2nd-3rd grade, depending on the child (and what I've purchased). I'd keep them on the same level, especially if the older one isn't a fluent reader yet. I haven't seen the new Intermediate pages yet. The new Beginner pages are so similar to the old ones, it isn't a big deal (though I did like the old ones better).

This is what I'm thinking after pondering it more. I think this year and next we'll all do Beginner pages and then my oldest will move to Intermediate. Then if we've moved through all the units at that point, I may have my middle son do Primary since he'll have done Beginner pages, and the youngest will be ready to start Beginner as a tag-along 4 yo. Whew!

Is there any reason to buy directly from BSGFAA? I noticed CBD has the older versions, and there is a free shipping code right now. :)

It depends on what you want out of the program. I use the older style Intermediate ones with my ds. We do them together, so anything he can't read is easy enough for me to read. We do one side at a time, plus a few minutes of review. We, however, don't do them everyday.

If it was me, I'd get the two levels of student pages (Beginner and Primary or two Beginners if you think your older won't be bored) and the summary cards. I really doubt you need the teacher pages; perhaps later, but not at this level.

This past year we used the beginner pages for my dd 1st and my ds pre k. It was great. So nice to have them together and they both loved it. Next year for k and second, ds will use beginner yr 2 and dd will use intermediate. I like the primary but year 2 is not out yet, also the instructions are not on the page in the primary which actually would be helpful with the beginner pages but as dd is reading herself and is more independent, I like the option of her doing it herself.

I would definitely suggest doing them together with the beginner pages if your oldest is first.