Menu

7th Grade US History - MFW, HOD, BF

mom4praise

Hi I am a single mom homeschooling 2 ds one is 7th grade and one is PreK, combining the 2 is not an issue so I am not looking at these curriculum from that stand point. I mention the single mom point because the cost of the curriculum does factor into my decision.

My ds12 really wants to begin US History next year and really does not want a textbook based curriculum, which is great because neither do I. I am looking at MFW Exploration to 1850, HOD Revival to Revolution, or Beautiful Feet Early American and World History Through Literature.

Has anyone used any of the the above programs. What can you share with me about them? Is there any I missed that are good literature based US History programs?

The rest of our year is planned except History. We are using Apologia General Science, MUS Geometry, R&S English 5, Spelling 7, A Time to Gather, Writing Strands either 3 or 4, Apologia Who Is God?, and LifePac Health Quest.

Thank you for your help. I have been reading the board daily and it has helped me make so many decisions for my boys.

We used MFW's Ex-1850 several years ago. It was really not an American History course, if I remember correctly, but more of a world history course with an American emphasis. At the end of the year, two of my boys, then 9, told me, it was good, but we don't remember anything. It did skip around a lot, and I think that's what confused them. Another child, 12 at the time, retained a lot more, but we didn't love the book choices - I don't remember any of the wonderful begging for more we've had with other courses.

This year we used HOD's CTC, with our own LA and math and other changes to make it fit our Charlotte Mason type philosophy, but we left the history portion alone. It was a great year and we loved the books, and while I don't love the choices for next year's history spine (RTR), I really like the looks of the one you are considering! That may well be coming to our house in two years. :-)

You might also want to consider Biblioplan for Families - check out their webpage and see what they use for spines. It's a super inexpensive guide that schedules history three days a week in four year cycles, and schedules spines, read-alouds, option enrichment, writing prompts, and readers for three age groups. We really enjoyed the years we used Biblioplan, but we did find the read-aloud and reader schedule to be somewhat fast and furious. In considering it for next year, I'm keeping in mind that I'd trim down the selections and leave a bit more time for those.

Sorry I can't tell you more!

Blessings,

Aimee

Thank you Aimee:

I hadn't even looked at BiblioPlan, for some reason I thought it was a Bible curriculum. The choices as a new home school mom are a bit overwhelming sometimes.

It has now joined the ranks for consideration. MFW is moving down the scale. There were a few other issues we had with it and I'm just not feeling as led toward it.

I will keep praying and reading. Thank you again for making me aware of BiblioPlan, from the quick read through of their website it too looks good and affordable.

HOD Rev to Rev isn't really an American History Curriculum either, it does included American History in the context of World History.

What about SL Core 100 or D+E? (Depending on your sons reading level and how much American History he knows). If you need him to be more independent I'd use Core D+E so he could read the read-alouds too. You could buy a used core or even just get an older IG and maybe get the books from the library or used online. I don't think it would be any more expensive than HOD or MFW and it's more American history.

HTH!

Take a look at Notgrass America the Beautiful. While I guess it technically could be considered a textbook, when I printed the samples and read them, it does not feel like a textbook. It's very engaging and my rising 7th grade son loved the samples A LOT!

You could then pair this with book selections from Sonlight Core 100 or D+E advanced, depending on his reading level.

Edited by cjgrubbs
more info

If you are on a budget and you already have all other subjects covered, I don't think I would spend $300+ just for a history program which is what you will pay for MFW, HOD, Sonlight etc. If you have a decent library I'd recommend Truthquest Am History I, II and III spread out over two years. If you do not have a good library, buy used.

Just a FYI as a general rule literature based curriculum is more expensive than textbooks. Like others mentioned try buying used either online or homeschool bookfairs/used bookstore. HTH

Edited by classics4us
added more info

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I have ruled out MFW and HOD due to their price. I really like HOD, I am using LHTH for my ds4; but the price of it for my oldest just isn't going to work.

I am now have three choices, BiblioPlan, TruthQuest, and Beautiful Feet. All three look great and affordable. We have a decent library, they are very helpful in finding items if they don't have them on their shelves. We also have a new library opening this fall on the other side of town (about 15 minutes instead of 5).

I am attending the HEAV convention and will hopefully be able to see them there. I know the vendors aren't scheduled to be there, but the used curriculum portion will hopefully have them.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think I have ruled out MFW and HOD due to their price. I really like HOD, I am using LHTH for my ds4; but the price of it for my oldest just isn't going to work.

I am now have three choices, BiblioPlan, TruthQuest, and Beautiful Feet. All three look great and affordable. We have a decent library, they are very helpful in finding items if they don't have them on their shelves. We also have a new library opening this fall on the other side of town (about 15 minutes instead of 5).

I am attending the HEAV convention and will hopefully be able to see them there. I know the vendors aren't scheduled to be there, but the used curriculum portion will hopefully have them.

I was searching for the HEAV convention and saw this post. I'll be there too. Did you know if you volunteer at the convention you get in first to the used book sale. It is a great deal.

I volunteer at the information and security booth on Thursday afternoon