Menu

BJU Life Science dvd's & schedule

If you're using BJU's Life Science for 7th....

Do you have a weekly schedule?

About how much time/day does your 7th grader spend on science? Or how much time/week?

Are you using the dvd's? If not, is it fairly straightforward to implement? Or would you get the dvd's if you had it to do over?

If you do use the dvd's, do you also do labs? Or do you watch the labs on the dvd?

Do your students like the dvd's or do they prefer to just read the text on their own?

Oh, and are the labs included on the dvd's you get with the dvd course or do you have to purchase the lab dvd's separately?

Trying to figure out if how critical/useful/interesting the dvd part of the program is....

Thanks!

I plan each week as I go. I roughly follow the suggested schedule for each chapter.

About how much time/day does your 7th grader spend on science? Or how much time/week?

Roughly an hour per day 5 days/week

Are you using the dvd's? If not, is it fairly straightforward to implement? Or would you get the dvd's if you had it to do over?

I have taught this myself twice, no regrets. I do have a science degree and love science, so that may have an impact. I think it is pretty straight forward though

If you do use the dvd's, do you also do labs? Or do you watch the labs on the dvd?

Do your students like the dvd's or do they prefer to just read the text on their own?

Oh, and are the labs included on the dvd's you get with the dvd course or do you have to purchase the lab dvd's separately?

Trying to figure out if how critical/useful/interesting the dvd part of the program is....

Thanks!

Obviously, since I didn't use DVDs we didn't watch the labs on DVD either. I did want to say that the labs in this book are almost all easy to implement at home and my kids both enjoyed doing them hands on.

We're on our last week

The cd-rom that comes with the course has a schedule on it I think, but the teacher's book definitely does. It gives a plan for each chapter. But, by the end of the course we just did a chapter a week. Instead of doing the tests, we would go over the ch. review and self quiz together. This was much more enjoyable for my son than how we started the course. I required one outline from each ch. per week

O.k. we started out with the online format and that lasted the entire first book. But, it just got to be too much. My son didn't care for dragging out a 30 minute lesson on just going over a facet or two and an idea page and then still having "homework" afterwards. When we did it with the online portion it would usually take about 45min-1:15min per day. Now it takes him about 30min to read the section and do either an idea page or talk over the section review questions with me. On the day he outlines it takes an additional 30 minutes, but that's his writing assignment for the day.

Are you using the dvd's? If not, is it fairly straightforward to implement? Or would you get the dvd's if you had it to do over? Answered this in the last question, but to add, we wouldn't order dvd's or use the online if we had to do it over again. Just not his style.

If you do use the dvd's, do you also do labs? Or do you watch the labs on the dvd? I wasn't good about the labs. I'm hoping to get some dissection in this summer and review slides. We did do the insect collection. Most of the time he was content with just watching the labs, especially for the first book.

they're included

Thanks!

Hope that was helpful! I know it was a huge decision for me last year too, so I understand. Fortunately now with the Earth Science, I don't even have the temptation since the dvd part hasn't been updated. Now I just have to decide between BJU or Apologia

Josie,

Thank you so much for the thorough review! The dvd's are pretty expensive, so I think maybe we'll pass on the course dvds & just get the lab ones. I can see that exact thing happening with my boys.... "Do we have to watch the dvd? Can't we just read the book?" They'll definitely watch the labs, though.

I have been so negligent when it comes to science. The kids have picked up a lot just from reading something from our stack of science library books for 30 mins/day, but it's probably time to try to take it more seriously. I think they'll enjoy life science.

Thank you, again, for writing out all your experience with it!

yvonne

Edited by yvonne