Menu

Writing -- grading rubrics

In a recent post, Nan said, "Don't forget about rubrics. These are great even if you aren't grading. Ask people to post writing ones and choose one to use. They make talking to a child about his work much easier because it makes it feel less like you are criticizing to the child."

I would love to see your writing rubrics. I think that would really help me tell ds what I expect of him. Will you post yours so I can see the types of things included? Thanks --

I split the points up for each part of the essay -- introduction, 3 body paragraphs, and conclusion -- each worth 20 points. Then in each section, I have specific things that are required, like: thesis statement in introductory paragraph, transitions between paragraphs, conclusion sentences, quotes from the literature to support the arguments in each body paragraph.

I have a separate series of points for more "mechanics" types of things -- like punctuation, over use of particular words, passive voice, capitalization, awkward wording, spelling errors, too many simple sentence structures, etc. Out of a total of 50 points, I take of 1 - 2 points per error, depending upon severity -- for example, a simple misspelling would be -1, and overuse of the passive voice after I've repeatedly reminded the student about this would be -2 per instance.

HTH,

Brenda

Thanks! I love this site, Mary. It is always helpful to have sample essays.

Here is another hint for grading writing papers. I usually copy out two rubrics to grade with. I hand one to my dh, and I use the other one. We both grade the paper and average the grade. We may even discuss the paper to see if one of the graders has been too tough or too easy. It's really great when we both come up with about the same grade. That helps me know that I am being as objective as I can be. I hope that made sense.

Thanks! I love this site, Mary. It is always helpful to have sample essays.

Here is another hint for grading writing papers. I usually copy out two rubrics to grade with. I hand one to my dh, and I use the other one. We both grade the paper and average the grade. We may even discuss the paper to see if one of the graders has been too tough or too easy. It's really great when we both come up with about the same grade. That helps me know that I am being as objective as I can be. I hope that made sense.

Jan - two people grading is a wonderful idea. Why did this never occur to me?

I am terrible at grading my ds's writing because it is good, but a second opinion would help so much.

Thanks