Menu

way TMI...chafing from underwear while pregnant?

I think it is the underwear, might just be skin on skin. But it is the groin area, where the thigh meets the private bits. In that crease I am red, raw, and almost burnt it seems. I noticed it the first time while wearing a certain pair of undies, and it seemed to go away the next day. Well yesterday I wore them again, and it was irritating, but I felt ok today. Then I walked around a college campus for a field trip, in horrid heat and humidity. By this afternoon I was in severe pain. I tried putting some cortisone cream on it and it burned so bad that i had to jump in the bathtub with my toddler to rinse it off. After soaking I dried well, then applied some Burts Bees Diaper ointment, which didn't burn, happily. And I've been sans undies since.

Anyone else ever have this? How can I prevent it? I'm thinking of picking up some Body Glide at Sports Authority...I know athletes use it to prevent chafing. Any other suggestions? It is only going to get hotter here, and unfortunately I think this is a side effect of my obesity this pregnancy.

Had the same problem with my pregnancy last year. I used A&D ointment when it got too bad. I used a hair drier on low to dry the chafed area after showering. At my 6 week postpartum checkup though, it still hadn't totally gone away. My OB took a look and thought it looked a bit yeasty, so she recommended I use an OTC yeast cream on the red area for a bit. That cleared up the lingering "ouch".

Hope it's not TMI from me. :tongue_smilie:

Erica in OR

I just gave birth and had this exact thing at the end of my pregnancy. It was a yeast infection, and my OB prescribed a prescription nystatin powder (helped to dry it out.)

I also used the hair dryer after every shower to make sure to dry it as thoroughly as possible.

With those things, it cleared up within a week. Before that, I had tried various diaper creams, etc., but it just got worse and worse.

Good luck!

Thank you! i actually did consider it could be yeast, and now with both of you saying that I will put some yeast medication on it tonight. I certainly have been....moist....lately. Sweating so much that my pants are damp, sigh. It is REALLY hot here and humid and awful and only going to get worse :(