Menu

What do you use for teaching Hebrew?

Jay3fer

Just curious... (now that I've been at it for a while) what others on here, if they're teaching Hebrew, are using - what you've found, loved, hated, gone all the way through, etc.

I'm somewhat looking around for next year. I think I know what I'm doing with both of the younger kids, but not 100% happy with my choices yet...

• 1 month later...

I doubt I'll be much help to you. I read your blog and your first grader is probably slightly ahead of mine, but I'll write a post anyway-since you asked and I like discussing it!

I don't follow the schedule of a Jewish Day School; I want to accomplish similar aims, but just on a Charlotte Mason schedule! One of the many benefits of homeschooling, right?

This article made me feel better about that decision: http://chinuchathome.info/index.php/Chinuch-Resources/Curriculum/Limudei-Kodesh-Curriculum.html

My children are the first to learn Hebrew in our family that I know of (don't know about his great-grandparents, they were Holocaust victims-may they rest in peace) and I have been learning right along with them; however, my son has definitely surpassed me in recall time and remembering little facts concerning the language. I will continue learning with them, just-the-same.

I've used Behrman House (BH) from the beginning: starting with the K-2 materials that just teaches the Alef Bet, to Shalom Uvrachah till now, when they are Shalom Ivrit (SI). I'd have to say that I am happy with the results for the most part. They also have enjoyed it-no tears or griping. My son is a natural w/language; my dd not as easily, but she's moving along. It's not as rigorous as others, but it has served us well.

This past year, we were assisted by their B'nei Mitzvah Hebrew teacher, too; even though he used a different curriculum (KTAV),

it strengthened the both of them well and they made a 99 and a 101 on their oral exams!! :hurray:

Beginning in Aug. they begin working on their parshah and trope.

Anyway, back to the subject...

Son is starting Shalom Ivrit 2

DD is starting SI 1

Prayer practice:

2x /wk:

Kol Yisrael: Prayers of Our People CD-ROM + Book

son- Vol. 2 of 3

dd- Vol. 1 of 3

Daily SI (Sun-Th):

flashcard drill.

Read the Hebrew story/lesson aloud

Then go back and translate it orally

At the start of a new chapter, they write the vocabulary words in their machberot; Hebrew on right, then English to the left of the page alongside.

Have a test either that week or the next week-depending upon how many words are in that Chapter.

The only disappointment w/BH is the very subtle presentation of grammar concepts; though my son has absorbed them.

However, this is where my CM philosophy comes into play that makes me feel better. If I had drilled them early on w/hardcore workbooks, whose to say it'd do any good or instill a love for the language? CM recommended that intensive grammar specific learning not start until 4th gr. or age 10; I suppose I could apply that to any language. As long as they END-UP- before leaving home- being able to communicate in

Israel (they will visit w/our Shul in 2-3 years, though I think my son will end up living there eventually) and be able to translate from the Chumash; modern Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew are my goals, in that order.

Due to their ages, they are ready to move up a notch; so this next year, beginning after Simchat Torah, I want to bring in dikduk specific learning. I was looking at L'shon HaTorah, the workbooks for junior high/high; but I don't know if there is a TG now (there wasn't last year) and if there is, whether it is in Hebrew or English (like the BH TG has a complete replica of the student book in Hebrew and Eng.).

Also, I don't know if I can even begin the program at the junior high level or if we have to go back to the younger ones- they may be too young

in presentation and content, since, like I said, the grammar concepts have been "embedded" in BH. Does that make sense?

I'm considering emailing the author to ask questions. Perhaps you can enlighten me since I know you have looked at it.

The other one that I am leaning HEAVILY towards is the DAVKA DIKDUK 1 cd-rom program: http://www.judaicaforkids.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=19&products_id=1094&osCsid=1d8839801235d8365805481f67c975fa

Morah Moriah also has some interesting things, too.

Well, there you go. Don't know if that satisfied your curiosity or not! I think I said more than you asked.

Shalom,

Rachel

Edited by Messianicmom

My dh is learning Hebrew using Rosetta Stone. He is in the middle of level 2 and can hold very awkward conversations with conversant Hebrew speakers.

He also knows Greek and German (to the point of translation and conversation) and has found RS to be the best (ihisho) immersion program available.

I forgot to mention that we also subscribe to the Jerusalem Post Ivrit monthly magazine for beginning Hebrew learners. It's great; there are different levels of nikkud usage-easy, med to no vowels at all. There are activities with in, too. I think it is very well done and creates further connection w/Israel.

Also, Jpost also has an IvritTAlk program using Skype or over the phone. You get to interact with personal Ulpan teachers in Israel to advance your Hebrew; your schedule is up to you, how often depends upon the subscription to buy,etc and there's homework.

After their B'nei Mitzvah, I plan on incorpating this program into our week.

Just thought I'd share.

@laughinglioness: I've heard good things about RS; that's great that your husband can communicate w/others; I just wish it weren't so expensive.

Though I'd still have the issue of teaching them grammar even if I could

use it.:glare:

Shalom,

RAchel

Edited by Messianicmom

@wendy: When he finishes ABQ, he can go directly into SH 1, no problem. SI 1 does assume you've already done some type of primer. I do recommend the TG. It has some grammar instruction and other language facts that need to be taught that aren't in the student text.

My son used ABQ just for fun (in other words, no bookwork, just computer on Fridays) after he had finished Shalom Uvrachah, while doing SI 1. **For script practice, the Alef Bet Quest Script book worked great! My son finished it this past year and dd is starting it alongside SI 1, which also has writing in it, but not Script practice. BH has print and script posters for the wall and I ordered 2 of each of those years ago. I then hung up both a script and a print poster in their rooms-I call it learning by osmosis. Writing in Hebrew seems to have come easily to them. So there's another idea if writing in Hebrew is important to you.

I will be giving my son Hebrew copywork this next year for him to continue in his Script. Have to figure out a plan on what-still a plan in progress!

I forgot to mention an addition I used w/my dd this past year. I mentioned that language doesn't come as easily to her and she's the type that likes "activity books" for reinforcement; whereas they would have been just busy work for my son.

Well, BH created a "funbook" to go with Shamlom Uvrachah that has been good for her. She finished it this year and is going into SI 1.

None of you here would require it, but I thought I'd mention it for anyone else just starting out who had a child like my dd.

BH is also starting a new online option for their materials, too.

Some cons for us (though not bad enough to have prevented use):

I should mention that if you use BH and your child will be having a Bar/Bat Mitzvah, they may be corrected on some of the vowels special rules, if your shul uses Israeli pronunciation rules. BH Modern Hebrew isn't exactly Israeli Hebrew pronuciation-which is what our shul teaches. Other synagogues may not teach Israeli pronunciation, so it may not be an issue; but ours does in it's classes, though we follow an Ashkenaz service style/liturgy.

It wasn't a big deal and they adjusted easily-it was less than a handful of changes. So when they come upon it in the SI text, they use the Israeli pronunciation.

Also, BH doesn't teach the names of the vowels (nikkud); they learned that in their BM class. I've determined since then that that is important to know, so you'll have to glean that info. from somewhere else in order to teach it; an easy task.

Just thought I'd mention it!

Shalom,

Rachel

Edited by Messianicmom

One product that I noticed is called learninghebrewpod. I never used the program but from what I see on their website, their products are reasonably priced....with the exception of their live tutor program.

I was reading some reviews on Rosetta stone Hebrew and saw some glowing comments about them.

I like the jerusalempost Easy Hebrew magazine idea. I had good experience with a similar paper called Shachar matchil but they are currently not publishing anymore.

What really irks me is that there is no pricing on the Jerusalem post website for this easy hebrew magazine product after the complimentary month. I mean really...what are they hiding...is it that expensive?? Thanks for the heads up about Ivrit talk. Again I would love to know their price rates.

My 7yo is halfway through Book 2 of Z'man Likro. I would not call it inspiring but it is getting the job done, and my son has an inexplicable (to me) fondness for the activities in the Activity Book. After that the plan is to start Shalom Ivrit.

What we really need is a tutor, though. Must get on the ball about that ...

I've been having DS write in print/block letters...maybe I should switch??

I guess it would depend upon what your goals are. My husband and I want them to be able to fully communicate in Israel in oral and written Hebrew and also to be able to fully understand Biblical Hebrew for reading, studying, and translating purposes.

Is he ready to switch? I had mine switch when they had mastered print. My dd is 11 and needed more time before switching, and my son was age 10.

It is my understanding that the Script form of writing is the more common form of writing in Hebrew when people are writing to each other; at least in Israel, which is our standard at home.

I think it's important to know both, just like in English, for a well-rounded

workable knowledge of the language.

In SI, he'll be writing in print for the exercises in the book, so he'll get continued practice. Not in form, like in ABQ, but just for answering questions. Do you think he needs more practice in print? There are free options online for continued practice in form if needed.

HTH!

G-d Bless,

Rachel

Edited by Messianicmom

I've never specifically taught my kids block printing. For the most part, it seems like something nice to be able to do while learning the alephbais or while learning to read/decode since the letter shapes are more similar, but I've never seen an official handwriting program that uses block letters. I have my kids start doing a script workbook around age 5 or 6.

Thank you Wendy for the price.

Oh I misspelled that service I ran across. Its learnhebrewpod....not learning...curious what anyone thinks of it. I got a good laugh out of the website. It was slick and perfect in every way...even the face shots were incredible.

I really like Behrman House. They had an Ora Band Reader modern Hebrew Prose and Poetry 20 years ago that was just incredible. Packed with beautiful poetry and short stories.

I've never specifically taught my kids block printing. For the most part, it seems like something nice to be able to do while learning the alephbais or while learning to read/decode since the letter shapes are more similar, but I've never seen an official handwriting program that uses block letters. I have my kids start doing a script workbook around age 5 or 6.

That makes sense. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any practice workbooks specifically for learning print either, like there exists for script. The print forms are taught and practiced within the context of learning the alefbet and decoding books, like you said above.

In the BH primer, Shalom Uvrachah, you have a choice between a print version and a script version.

With the primer ABQ, the practice in the book is of print, but you can purchase a script practice book alongside. In SI, there are no writing practice skills taught; when my son started SI 1, that's when he started the ABQ script book.

Rachel

I really like Behrman House. They had an Ora Band Reader modern Hebrew Prose and Poetry 20 years ago that was just incredible. Packed with beautiful poetry and short stories.

Could it be this one: http://behrman.powerwebbook.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=6271

I was looking at that one myself. If it's the same one, then your plug for it is encouraging.

I've used many things from BH since my children's K years. Their Israel materials for children have been great, too. Though some of their materials present some concepts that are more liberal than our own teachings at home, it hasn't detered the usefulness of the products.:)

I've also used some of their adult Hebrew materials.

Rachel

Edited by Messianicmom

• 2 weeks later...

Wendy

I have another question about the Jerusalem Post readers...

I was looking on a similar site called Hebrew Today. They have an informative website that's clear cut with pricing but I was shocked to see them charging a price for 12 months and then in the smaller print later on the site, you see that they don't publish for two months July and August ....and don't publish during some holidays. Here is an excerpt:

4How many issues will I receive throughout the year?

"Bere****" and "Yanshuf" are published every two weeks. You will receive 18 issues during the subscription year. Only one issue will be printed during the month of the Sukkot (September or October) and Pesach (April or May) holidays. Newspapers are not published during July and August.

Every two weeks should be 52 weeks divided by 2....to see only 18 issues instead of 26 weeks is deceptive.

How many weeks does the Jerusalem Post provide for a year?

Super interested in this thread. We tried Berman House CD last year, which is what folks at my synagogue recommended. I hated it. The kids hated it. Actually the program wasn't that bad from a practical standpoint, but it was computer-based and the user interface, graphics, and SOUND (ohmygosh, the sound) was so incredibly irritating that we found the program pretty much unusable. Maybe my family is spoiled because we often use the computer as a learning tool, but are accustomed to using only quality educational computer products so we recognize and are annoyed by something so second-rate.

This is causing me a deal of stress, to be honest, because we are a Jewish home, but I was not raised with any level of real observance or Jewish education myself, and the Jewish support network here minimal and dysfunctional. I myself cannot read Hebrew beyond perhaps a Kindergarten level and have had the intention of learning alongside my kids. Now, my oldest is turning 10 in September, and I feel like I really need to get *on* this if we are serious.

The kids are attending 1 month resident Jewish camp right now (first-time campers) and I am hopeful they are getting a jump-start in Hebrew being there, both in terms of the daily Hebrew lessons and also in terms of enthusiasm. I'm super hopeful they will come home with a renewed energy for Judiasm because frankly, our Jewish community and education here leaves something to be desired to say the least.

Needless to say, I am primarily referencing Hebrew reading for the time being - but Jen, aren't you going to make aliyah? If so I imagine modern Hebrew is on your radar as well. Had you considered Rosetta Stone for modern Hebrew? I had considered this as well, and even though not the same as Torah Hebrew, I thought maybe having the familiarity with Modern Hebrew might facilitate engagement with reading Torah.

Failing all else I am considering hiring the Chabad Rebbetzin to just give us private lessons, but even that is not an ideal solution as she lives pretty far away.

Edited by zenjenn

I had a pretty low level of Hebrew knowledge when I started homschooling. My level of knowledge is still relatively low, actually, but I've made a lot of progress. I think if you want your kids to learn and don't have good options for outsourcing, you really have to be committed to self-education. It isn't easy, but I just keep telling myself, "If a first/second/third/etc. grader can learn this, so can I." There are materials out there to help you learn; you just have to be committed to using them on a regular basis. It is really hard to make the time, but if you treat it as a real responsibility, you will make progress. Personally, I can't afford it, but there seem to be some good options for online language classes for adults and older kids.

Many of the Jewish/Hebrew materials I've come across are second rate in some way. I guess we just aren't a large enough market to support very many really good, current products. Many of the items on the market haven't been updated in ages. It's annoying, but you just have to make do or make your own.

I am a comparative language major that was once catholic, but converted and made Aliya, returned to the US, met an Israeli and married. I have done three Israeli Ulpans so I am keenly aware on what works the best in the shortest amount of time. Here are some of my recommendations...

1. Get a hold of some Israeli TV. This is the ticket to learning a language. Dish TV has an option of getting a couple of Israeli TV channels.

If you don't have access to Dish TV, have someone in Israel record some TV programs like game shows, soap operas, kids children shows, cartoons.

There may be some clever ways of getting Israeli Tv on the Internet...talk to a shaliach or the Israeli Consulate about ideas of getting Israeli TV while in the US. They will tell you what they use.

Israeli TV is interesting since you have a ton of US TV programs in English and mandatory Hebrew subtitles. The Hebrew subtitles are a boon for learning Hebrew. Eventually after watching your favorite US shows in ENGLISH but with Hebrew subtitles, you pick up on phrases to use when speaking Hebrew.

2. Learning newspapers like the Jerusalem post Reader or Hebrew Today learning newspapers. ...I know...I have commented about the outrageous prices but guess what... They work great because they deal with current event issues in the Israeli news and you really pick up great vocabulary.

I have more ideas but the kids are not behaving right now so I need to post more ideas later.

Wendy

I have another question about the Jerusalem Post readers...

How many weeks does the Jerusalem Post provide for a year?

The Jerusalem Post magazine comes once a month, at the beginning of a new Hebrew month. For example, we just received for the month of Tamuz (yes, a little behind since it has to cross the ocean!). It comes every month. Every page is in color; there are 34 pages, not including the front and back cover. Each issue has recipes in a addition to current events, there's a special poster insert, activities in Hebrew and grammar and writing practice for children; loads of vocabulary words and the articles and activities are completely related to the corresponding Holidays for that month. There's so much in each magazine.

This month it advertised a new book called Stick Around: http://gingerhood.com/stick-around/stick-around/

I tried to do something similar by writing the Hebrew on pieces of paper and taping them around the house, but I like this better.

I wish I could tell you my cost, but I spread it out over a few months and combined it with the International JPost. My subscription ends in ELUL, so two more months. I was able to arrange which day of the month to have money drawn. When I look at the corner of the magazine it reads Price in USA $7 .

Shabbat Shalom,

Rachel

Edited by Messianicmom

Shabbat Shalom!

Great idea Rachel on the Gingerhood book. Little stickers in Hebrew on all your furniture/appliances is a great method.

You reminded me of a paperback book. It's called Hebrew in 10 minutes a day. I had the book for learning Russian in 10 minutes a day but the style for each language is the same. Its another gem of a paperback with stickers for your furniture and appliances in their as well. This book is geared toward beginners to intermediate learners. I saw these books going for 1 cent on amazon...not sure if there is shipping.

These are great books originally published by cliff notes...don't worry if you get a version from the seventies or eighties....It's still the same and you enjoy the lower price.

In fact, don't be fooled by these expensive modern products. I have some incredible retro Hebrew learning books from 1965 (Israeli books) and they are SUPERB for learning Hebrew. Last summer I taught using two of these retro books with super fast results.

Getting back to more innovative ways to learn Hebrew, I had mentioned getting hold of recorded TV shows or movies.

Another great method of learning is by song. Find some Israeli musician that meets your lifestyle choice and translate the lyrics. You may need someone helping you on the hidden meaning to some lines but music is a quick method.

If you go to Israel, instead of a hotel, stay in someone's house. Live with the natives!

If you plan on doing an Ulpan in Israel, don't bother on the ones that last 4 hours every day. In my opinion and experience you are wasting a good 1.5 hours on breaks and lost time trying to interpret a joke that gets sidetracked off the lessons. my best Ulpan lasted only two hours and was career oriented so we focused on words and books that our professions were in. Still, a good innovative Ulpan can be done in one hour in the US.

I saw this Hebrew in 10 minutes a day for 1 cent on Barnes and Nobles...not amazon. Obviously used but I am unclear on any shipping charges.

I am seeing the new version on Amazon with a CD FOR $18.

Getting back to those great newspaper/magazine readers...One advantage of the Hebrew Today website vs the Jerusalem Post reader paper is that they have an online version where you get audio so you can listen to the article as well. Still, Rachel gave a great review of the Jerusalem Post Magazine reader so you can't go wrong with either....except with those silly prices.

I found a very nice online Hebrew to English dictionary that also puts the nekudot (dots under the words) in the translation.

This comes in handy when you find an article without nekudot and need to translate and pronounce some words you don't recognize.

Check it out and tell us if you have another online dictionary that you think is good.

http://www.Morfix.co.il/en

Perhaps I am not the best one to answer this question because I had over 13 years of Jewish/Hebrew schooling, but I did homeschool my son for Judaic studies for both first and second grades. Here's what I used:

Reishis Chochmah by Nacha Rivkin (ISBN-13: 9780914131564): It's not the best (definately old fashioned Hebrew), but the children learn the Hebrew alphabet in order so it's easy to remember what letters and vowels you have introduced thus far. If you cannot read Hebrew, this will probably not work for you.

Chaveri Aleph by Edythe and Sol Scharfstein is also written in old fashioned Hebrew. The letters are not in alphabetical order and the introduction of the letters and vowels may be too fast for some children (I prefer going slow and steady, introducing perhaps a letter and/or a vowel a week). Once the child learns to read all the letters, it has great practice words. You will not be able to use Chaveri unless you can already read Hebrew. If you cannot read Hebrew, you may be able to use Sol Scharfstein's Leshonee l, which does explain at the top of each page how to pronounce in Modern Hebrew each letter and vowel.

Tal Am Ariot Books 1-4 mostly introduce the letter in alphabetical order, but you will need to be able to both read and speak Hebrew to use this effectively. Once your child can read Hebrew, Tal Am has plenty of books about the Jewish holidays and daily life in which to learn to read and write everyday and Biblical Hebrew. Ester Maria on this forum has used the Tal Am series extensively.

After the child can read Hebrew, I use Hakol Chadash 2 by Mira Owen. Again, if you cannot read or understand basic Hebrew, you will not be able to use it, but this book is meant for children who have moved to Israel and need to learn conversational Hebrew. Mira Owen also developed for the Union for Reform Judaism the series Chaverim B'Ivrit, which is supposed to be very good too, although I am not sure how much knowledge of Hebrew the teacher needs to know in order to use it.

By second grade, I started my son on Chumash: first about 3-4 verses of Sefer Vayikra (the Book of Leviticus, according to the custom) and then we got through about 2 chapters of Sefer Bereshis (the Book of Genesis). I used for Bereshis a book published by the Board of Jewish Education of Greater New York which was called Sedras Bereshis. I used it because it has just the verses with no commentary to distract him, and the verses are widely spaced too (with plenty of white space on the page). If you can get a copy of it, it is pretty helpful, but I think it is out of print. I also used the Tal Am workbooks for Bereshis, which were nice because the illustrations are amazing and help the child understand what the text means.