Menu

New to homeschooling & have teenagers..NEED GUIDANCE from those who've been there

Hi...I just joined this forum today. This is wonderful. I have 4 kids all who've grown up in "A" rated public schools. Finishing grades 9th, 7th, 3rd, & 1st. The education they're getting academically is the best in our county, but the "other" stuff they're learning at public school will blow your mind. So, I feel like I'm being led to take all of them out of PS and start HS-ing all of them in the Fall.

That being said, I am overwhelmed with getting curriculum and learning all I need to know before I begin...don't have much time....

My specific questions are:

1.) Has anyone begun homeschooling their kids later in life (like 10th grade) with success and

2.) how did you handle the resistance you faced from the kids.

3.) How do you get them on board? I know I can offer so much more than they are currently getting, and teach them about God more and so many other things...I only wish I had started earlier.

4.) Is there a way to get your books/DVDs/curriculum less expensively than the prices I'm seeing online? Used?

5.) Are there traps you find in purchasing unnecessary books that you never use?

6.) How do you get plugged into a good group? (We live in the Tampa FL area...near Brandon)

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?

My husband is on board, but he wonders if I'll be structured enough to make it happen since I'm easily distracted and tend to lose focus easily. (he knows me too well) I told him that I think this will force me to become much more organized and structured...I'm very anxious about this decision and have not told the kids yet, but need some Godly wisdom from those who've been there.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks everyone!!

Michelle

PS..my husband recommended that I begin HS a month prior to regular school (like in July) to give it 4 wks trial run so that if it does not work they can still start PS in the fall....Is this the same as giving up before you start??? Do you recommend this?? If I do it that way, only my husband and myself will know that...... Please help if you've been there....thx!

Edited by Mushiemomof4
thought of more questions after I posted.

This was our first year to homeschool, so I can't say that we've had "success" yet (ie, gone on to college, ect), but the kids would say that our first year was successful.

This year, we had a 9th, 8th, 6th, 5th, and Kindergartener, all who had been in public school (except the youngest). We actually gave the oldest 3 a choice about what they wanted to do, and they all chose homeschooling for various reasons. My oldest is ADHD and wanted more focused attention, my oldest dd is very advanced academically and was bored at school, and my youngest dd dances and didn't want to cut back her dance due to middle school schedule (she wouldn't get out until 4:00). She also loves sleeping late!

We didn't give the younger two a choice because they weren't ready to help with the decision, but we wanted the older ones to "own it".

We started in early August, not to "test it out" but because we planned the family's first Disney trip in September and we were taking 3 weeks off :)

My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE not being tied to the school schedule (and I love it too). They sleep a little later, and can stay up a little later on occasion. We can go out to eat lunch, hit places at uncrowded times (we are going to Six Flags next week before most kids are out of school), and the kids just have more freedom to pursue the things they are interested in.

They've had SO many opportunities to do cool things this year...things that I never even knew existed for homeschoolers. Even my younger dd, who was a little resistant at first (but ultimately chose hs'ing), would say that she is very glad that it was the path she took. She is my most social child, but has really blossomed in the homeschool enviroment, and is not lacking at all in friends and social interaction.

We are also in a very good school district, but I really think you will be surprised at what your kids haven't been taught in school. I love the perspective that I have on my kids now, and how much better I am getting to know them and their strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by mandymom

help to get the children on board:

Start school at 9am (they can sleep in :D)

End school early (if you can (around 2-3))

If they work hard, they get some days off (like every other Friday is blow off day)

Of course you cannot do all of these at the same time, just think about what would motivate YOU, (something they can make their PS friends envious about)

Go to the high school board for advice, they are very knowledgeable.

They will help you with stuff like credits and graduation requirements and college stuff.

Since you have to hit the ground running (being as you only have two years left) I would suggest a boxed curriculum like Sonlight, where they tell you what to do every step of every day, and provide all the stuff you need.

I am a huge fan of starting in the summer, I like to start the new year at 100%, so I start one new subject, get good at it, then start a new one--that way I have everything running smoothly by the time the "clock"

starts in the fall.

HTH

Lara

Edited by Lara in Colo

Congratulations on your first year...sounds like you did great. Thank you for your reply.

You see, I KNOW my older ones will resist at first. The younger ones will be OK with it. The older ones are going to be the tough ones to get on board. BUT I want them out of public school so bad I can taste it!! My older one got into some trouble for the first time ever in 9th gr, and I think some re-training is in order to re-establish her roots and help her stand up to peer pressure.

1.) Has anyone begun homeschooling their kids later in life (like 10th grade) with success and

I have homeschooled my younger two children since the beginning, so they were already homeschooling long before my oldest dd joined us at home. She started at the beginning of 11th grade. I must confess things did not go as I expected. If I could have a do-over, I would:

1. Not give her as much freedom as I did. I had no experience with homeschooling a teenager and neither she nor I were properly prepared.

2. Because she had no experience, I would work *with* her to develop a schedule and I would hold her accountable. Unfortunately, I allowed her to do things her way.

3. I would not allow her to work more than 15 hours a week. She devoted too much time to working and not enough time to academics. However, she excelled in her jobs. She was, and continues to be, a hard worker with a great work ethic. Her employers were very impressed. So I really have mixed feelings about this.

4. I would guide her more in making plans for post-high school. I left it to her, assuming she would come up with a plan. Each time I would talk with her about it, she would sort of skirt the issue and dumb me didn't press.

2.)how did you handle the resistance you faced from the kids.

The only resistance I've faced is my youngest dd's feelings about the social opportunities of school. I did allow her to attend school several times over the years and it never worked out. However, she never let go of the feeling that she was missing out. Her academic work did not suffer and I did my best to find opportunities outside the house. Only we've reached a place where I can no longer meet all of her needs. She will start high school in the fall with backup plans to come back home if anything serious arises.

3.)How do you get them on board?

Have you talked with them yet? Work with them to create a pros and cons list. Point out the benefits of being home. Make a plan that will address their concerns. The first one off the top of my head is that they may complain about leaving their friends behind. Be sure to address how they can continue their friendships even if they are not in the same building during school hours.

I don't think starting early as a trial run is a bad thing, but it could present a couple of problems. First, it might seem grossly unfair for them to begin schoolwork when their friends are still on summer vacation. That may not give them a good impression of homeschooling. Second, a month may not be long enough for a true fair trial. Some people have a honeymoon period where all parties are doing well and things seem great. But then struggles and obstacles can present themselves and you'll have to learn to address and resolve them along the way.