Menu

Anyone switch from BJU to CLE?

Wildwood

I've been using BJU for math and LA pretty consistently with my soon to be 3rd grader.

I'm preparing to order both math and LA, and am now considering ordering CLE instead.

I really like BJU and it works well here however, it is so pricey and I'd like to try and minimize spending if I can.

I know that CLE has a good reputation and it is quite a bit cheaper.

I had thought about perhaps buying BJU used or maybe not buying some of the TM's (to save money), but I truly don't want to buy used and I don't really want to use BJU without their TM's---I'm one of those weirdos that likes their rather bulky TM's.

Anyway, I guess I am wanting to hear how the transition went if you did make the switch.

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!

I used BJU Math K-1st and transitioned into CLE 200 with my middle son. No problems! I don't think he noticed.

My youngest wonders were the farmer went though as I transitioned him after K. ;)

CLE is not teacher manual heavy at 3rd grade, so you might miss them.

I've been using BJU for math and LA pretty consistently with my soon to be 3rd grader.

I'm preparing to order both math and LA, and am now considering ordering CLE instead.

I really like BJU and it works well here however, it is so pricey and I'd like to try and minimize spending if I can.

I know that CLE has a good reputation and it is quite a bit cheaper.

I had thought about perhaps buying BJU used or maybe not buying some of the TM's (to save money), but I truly don't want to buy used and I don't really want to use BJU without their TM's---I'm one of those weirdos that likes their rather bulky TM's.

Anyway, I guess I am wanting to hear how the transition went if you did make the switch.

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!

I did the same. Even used, the prices are just outrageous, coupled with how cumbersome the math was, I switched to CLE. We backed up a bit on a few LU's but it was pretty simple. We took the placement test and except for a few concepts, it was a lateral move. BJU had some weird ways or orders (can't remember) to teach it and CLE doesn't do this. That was instrumental in my decision. If you didn't teach it a certain way then they'd be lost in other grades in some of their concepts. Plus the visuals and aides and transparency stuff...because of what I mentioned, I felt I had to use those. It's not the TM I despised, but those extras. Drove me insane. I wish they could have just used the worktext period.

CLE was a very peaceful move.

Now BJU English I didn't mind, because I didn't need "all that". It was just the TM and worktext. But the prices are what lead me to go elsewhere. Even used. CLE LA is very spiral so we didn't stick with it.

I did the same. Even used, the prices are just outrageous, coupled with how cumbersome the math was, I switched to CLE. We backed up a bit on a few LU's but it was pretty simple. We took the placement test and except for a few concepts, it was a lateral move. BJU had some weird ways or orders (can't remember) to teach it and CLE doesn't do this. That was instrumental in my decision. If you didn't teach it a certain way then they'd be lost in other grades in some of their concepts. Plus the visuals and aides and transparency stuff...because of what I mentioned, I felt I had to use those. It's not the TM I despised, but those extras. Drove me insane. I wish they could have just used the worktext period.

CLE was a very peaceful move.

Now BJU English I didn't mind, because I didn't need "all that". It was just the TM and worktext. But the prices are what lead me to go elsewhere. Even used. CLE LA is very spiral so we didn't stick with it.

Thanks very much, ladies!

Alilac, if I may ask, how helpful and complete do you find the CLE teacher manuals? Although, BJU TM's can be too wordy and too classroom oriented, I appreciate the surplus of information and guidance. I've learned to sift pretty well.

In your opinion, are the CLE teacher guides very useful and helpful?

PS~I too, am a bit freaked out by all the visuals and aides that seem necessary for BJU---I'd love to avoid all that stuff and expense!

Thank you!

Thanks very much, ladies!

Alilac, if I may ask, how helpful and complete do you find the CLE teacher manuals? Although, BJU TM's can be too wordy and too classroom oriented, I appreciate the surplus of information and guidance. I've learned to sift pretty well.

In your opinion, are the CLE teacher guides very useful and helpful?

PS~I too, am a bit freaked out by all the visuals and aides that seem necessary for BJU---I'd love to avoid all that stuff and expense!

Thank you!

So far, okay. We just completed 4th level which contained I think, quite advanced concepts for the level. I have not used the TM for anything other than the answers and went by the copy of the LU's directions when going over it with dd.

I'm not mathy, so I'm not sure how well they help in the upper levels and that would be a concern for me as the levels get advanced.

So unless you want to do the work yourself to check it, :tongue_smilie:I'd get the TM. :D

I did not need the TM's for teaching 3rd grade. They are needed for 1st and 2nd. The higher the grade level, the less the TM is used because CLE wants to the student to learn independently. All of the instruction is within the lightunits for you and your child to read. I found TMs completely useless when my DD was in 5th grade. They were just an answer key.

I did not need the TM's for teaching 3rd grade. They are needed for 1st and 2nd. The higher the grade level, the less the TM is used because CLE wants to the student to learn independently. All of the instruction is within the lightunits for you and your child to read. I found TMs completely useless when my DD was in 5th grade. They were just an answer key.

:iagree: for 4th level.