Menu

I thought Quadratic/Linear equations were not taught until Algebra 1?

This is a clip of my dd's scantron scores and I'm baffled, these are some of the areas they dinged her for for 5th grade math and scored her at grade 5.0. I will talk to the teacher but these sure as heck don't look like things 5th graders should be doing. Are our state standards THAT out of whack?

scores.jpg

It does sound kind of crazy, but objectives like that are written in what some people call 'educationalese'. This generally means the wording is super fancy for something simple. For example, I guess a very simple subtraction problem can be written in algebraic terms such as using an x. I can think of problems that are written like this: 5 - ? = 3. In Algebra, wouldn't the question mark just be replaced by an x with the instructions to solve for x. I'm just throwing out a possible explanation. I'm not really sure. I didn't understand 'educationalese' in my college education classes! :tongue_smilie:

It would be interesting to ask a very specific question such as how exactly quadratic equations are introduced and practiced in 5th grade. Do they use the actual equation with an understanding of what A, B, and C represent?

My bet is that the actual problems are more appropriate.

For instance, the graphing is just graphing vertical or horizontal lines.

One step linear equations would be like 3x=6 or x-2=5.

I'd question the quadratic, but it may be reading from a graph.

I would assume the objectives with 6 and 7 are for 6th and 7th grade, respectively, and the ones labeled ALGEBRA would be for 8th, more-or-less. So as you said you wouldn't expect a 5th grader to know them, so it would make sense that they would get them wrong. Grade 5.0 seems like a decent place for a 5th grader, though this far along in the year 5 point something-a-bit-higher-than-0 would be a bit better, if I'm interpreting it right? I"m guessing the test is a multi-grade level test?

FWIW, it seems to me that the first one with the 5 at the front might be the only one referring to 5th grade. The rest appear to be for 6th, 7th and algebra 1.

I didn't even notice that in the coding, thanks! Makes a little more sense now, but still wondering why they would be pushing that far ahead, she scored grade 9.9 for the reading portion and they gave suggestions for 9.10 and 11-12. You would think they would just point out goals for the next year. Anyway, the teacher made it sound like she needed to know those math things.

I would assume the objectives with 6 and 7 are for 6th and 7th grade, respectively, and the ones labeled ALGEBRA would be for 8th, more-or-less. So as you said you wouldn't expect a 5th grader to know them, so it would make sense that they would get them wrong. Grade 5.0 seems like a decent place for a 5th grader, though this far along in the year 5 point something-a-bit-higher-than-0 would be a bit better, if I'm interpreting it right? I"m guessing the test is a multi-grade level test?

yes, thats beginning of 5th grade. What dinged us is TT uses a different sequence which I'm ok with, the rest of the stuff the teacher pointed out that she got nailed on will get covered over the next year in TT7/Pre-Algebra/HoE/LoF.