Menu

Books for my 6 year old?

Jennifer L

My 6 year old loves books and reading. She's reading at a higher reading level for her age but I don't want her reading any books with innapropriate content for a 6 year old.

Some books she's read in the past 6 weeks or so are.. Winnie the Pooh, Henry Huggins, Charlottes Web, Petter Pan, The Wizard of Oz and The Velveteen Rabbit

Any suggestions?

A book we came across in the library recently that we haven't seen come up on the boards or on reading lists is The Enchanted Castle by Edith Nesbit. It is challenging enough without too mature of a topic and we adore it! Edith Nesbit also wrote Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare which is a bit more challenging but gives a wonderful introduction to the basic plots of popular Shakespeare plays.

Here is a link to The Enchanted Castle---http://www.amazon.com/The-Enchanted-Castle-Puffin-Classics/dp/0140367438:thumbup:

My dd (6 next week) is in about the same spot. I've been putting together her reading list for her 1st grade year, starting June 4th, and so far this is what I have found:

The Little House series

101 Dalmations by Dodie Smith (her request)

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Anne of Green Gables

Magic School Bus chapter books

The Fairy Chronicles (for extra reading)

Igraine the Brave

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

and some Beverly Cleary.

She read Socks and loved it, but wasn't thrilled with Ramona. Maybe the Mouse and the Motorcycle?

I'm still looking so I'll be watching your thread. :001_smile:

My dd 5 loves TumTum and Nutmeg. We started it as a read aloud but she quickly asked if she could read it to her younger sisters. She did most of it on her own but needed some guidance for some of the words.

Also, Pippi Longstocking was a huge hit here.

DD6 just finished reading TumTum and Nutmeg! She loved it so I just ordered them both from Amazon so she can read and reread to her hearts content!

OP - Raggedy Ann and Andy have been loved by DD6 for over a year now and she still rereads them regularly so I'd definitely recommend those.

Also the Ramona Quimby books, Mrs Piggle-Wiggle, Half Magic, the Doll People series (a definite favorite), Ginger Pye and Pinky Pye, are all ones she's read and reread.

When my son got to the point where he was beyond the books on the Sonlight reader lists, I started looking at their core read-alouds for the younger years. That can give you some great ideas that are age appropriate and a higher reading level. :)

Also, Scholastic Book Wizard can be helpful in finding equivalent books.

Eventually, I stopped worrying about reading level and just let him read whatever good literature he should read, even if it was below his current reading level. A good chapter book is a good chapter book. :)

Did anyone mention the Boxcar Children series yet? There are a bunch of those.

My 6 year old loves books and reading. She's reading at a higher reading level for her age but I don't want her reading any books with innapropriate content for a 6 year old.

Some books she's read in the past 6 weeks or so are.. Winnie the Pooh, Henry Huggins, Charlottes Web, Petter Pan, The Wizard of Oz and The Velveteen Rabbit

Any suggestions?

Your daughter sounds similar to mine, and I know what you mean about avoiding inappropriate content in books. If it helps, I posted what she read independently in K and Gr. 1 (without any resulting nightmares!).