Menu

Food Saver?

Does anyone have and use one of these? Any insights or recommendations? Does it make a difference in how well your food lasts in the freezer? I'm thinking about getting one. I'd like to cook extra throughout the summer to stock the freezer with meals for when this baby gets here. I'm thinking maybe this would help things to still taste good when we get to them. Yes?

I have the one sold by Sears/Kenmore. I love it. I can't say I've used it extensively for the purpose you're considering, however. But I re-portion all my meats into the bags and the meats stay very fresh that way.

The only possible drawback is that you can't really re-use the bags once you've cut them open. If you're very used to re-using Ziploc or similar bags, this will seem more wasteful perhaps. I think it is worth it anyway, because the meats don't get freezer burned and crystalized.

I have come to like the type where you make the bag to whichever size you need moreso than those that are already sold as a gallon or a quart of what-not.

I have one. It definitely makes a difference in my freezer meat. I am quite famous/infamous for buying something that is a good deal and then saving it for a later date that is usually so later that it is now ruined with freezer burn.

I get the most out of mine purchasing meat/poultry in bulk. I have used it for freezing meals but I usually use those pretty quickly that I have yet to see a benefit.

My grandmother just gave me hers that she never used. Literally, she didn't even open the box. So far I have used it for raw meat, precooked meat, and cheese - I buy large blocks at Sam's and cut them into 1/2 or 1 lb sections and repackage. I thought I would use it for freezer meals, but we don't have the canisters and such for storing liquidy things. I never realized before how many things we eat with some sort of sauce!