Menu

X-post: Who has taught Creative (fiction) Writing?

I've been teaching essay writing, literary analysis, and lit courses in our high school co-op, but even though I have two degrees in CW, I'm scratching my head over how to teach it ; ) A number of students have expressed interest in a CW fiction course, but for the life of me, I can't recall how it was taught when I did my degrees (lo, these many moons ago). I did post about this a while back on this board and received a PM from Laughing Lioness who said she had taught fiction writing and would send me her syllabus, but although I've PM's her several times since then, have not heard back (and haven't seen her on the board for some time either--anyone know what's up?)

What I'm looking for are suggestions of what you would expect to see taught in a fiction (short story) writing course--eg, exercises on characterization, dialogue etc. We have only 12 weeks for a semester, so I was thinking that I would have the students work towards writing and polishing one short story in addition to the shorter exercises--or should ot be two stories? Thanks for any input.

Hi,

I'm doing the same thing this fall semester at my co-op, but I am expecting them to write a couple of picture books or an easy reader chapter book.

I plan to use Nanowrimo's workbook for high school students. We'll spend the first few weeks covering writing basics--punctuation, dialogue, description while we work on coming up with a story. Actually, I think that's pretty aggressive, but I think the kiddos will rise to the occasion.

I like the Nanowrimo workbook because it begins with having the students use their favorite book as a model. So for those writing a chapter book, they'll use their favorite chapter book and we'll discuss those in class. I don't expect them to write a novel in a semester, but if the writers in the class want to start one, I'm okay with that too.

We are doing the poetry section of PHP's The Creative Writer right now but the first part of the book is short story writing. I think it would make a great resource for you in teaching your co-op class. You can view the TOC over at CBD.

Isn't that geared towards younger students? I've looked at some sample pages and it seemed too young for for high school.

Re NaNoWriMo: I've also looked at some sample pages there and right off the bat, I can tell that many parents of our co-op students would not be happy with the sorts of examples given (teens aspiring to be rock stars, etc--even though I have sons who play in bands ; ) ) It struck me as trying too hard to be "relevant" to the "typical" teen.

I have the same issues with Nanowrimo. I don't intend to pass out those writing examples to the students. Instead, I will use the program as the framework from which I teach, modifying as I go along because that is what I do. I modify everything. Can't help it. :-)

I did love the idea of using their favorite picture book or chapter book as a model.

Btw, I love to write. I write all of the time. I attend conferences and study writing, so I feel pretty comfortable modifying and teaching them what to do.

I also intend to use classical literature as examples, sort of in the vein of Write with the Best.