Menu

Critical Thinking in US History

My 9th grader and I dipped into several of these that year and in 8th. I found them of value but somewhat challenging to incorporate. I do think that you might benefit if you had more than one child using these at a time in order to get some discussion going. We did these verbally.

Regards,

Kareni

I used it this year with 7th and 8th grades and will continue to use more next year when one of them is 9th. I think they are incredibly valuable and could be used as a supplement all the way through high school.

I agree with Kareni though. It takes effort to incorporate these. Illogically organized logic/critical thinking texts are becoming my main pet peeve (second only to disposable blenders filling up our landfills, but that's a whole 'nother story :glare:). I can't even tell you how many times I grumbled about how the text and TM are set up for CTUSH. Still it is definitely worth the trouble.

I incorporated the units as we covered that period in the Notgrass book. After a while the logic/critical thinking material repeats itself, although the content/plot changes. I found much of the material interesting in rounding out our US history studies. I also used You Decide! (supreme court cases) that year.

Eventually my daughter got sick of the same logic skills. We never made it to book 4 and stopped somewhere in book 3.

Staci