Menu

Worried about possible electrical fire situation?

A circuit went out. Every time we go to the basement to flip the breaker it just goes out again within two minutes. We have unplugged everything. Even if all the lights are off the circuit goes out.

Having those rooms in darkness doesn't really bother me. My only concern is a possible house fire. It seems that it's not likely because the circuit is obviously NOT working, but I thought it wise to check.

Dh has called our landlord--she is pretty great, and she is checking into things as well. I'd really rather NOT have an electrician rush right out either tonight or tomorrow. There is some untidiness here I'd rather the landlord not see, and I have a crazy, crazy weekend with a double root canal for ds first thing in the morning, then memorial prep with my unhappy, dysfunctional relatives, after which I have a TON of year-end work to do for my tutoring students. Then the memorial on Saturday and lots of craziness with the aforementioned emotional vampires . . . ahem, I mean, RELATIVES. I would much rather live with darkness until Tuesdayish.

So is the house going to go up in flames? What possible reasons could there be for this situation?

Thanks!

Call the fire department, and request that they come now WITHOUT sirens. Explain there is no fire, but you need a check so one doesn't happen. We got hit by lightening last summer, and it took out 4 breakers. A few wouldn't even go back on, but the ones that did made me nervous. The fire dept. came out with heat sensors, the breakers were HOT (over 100 deg.) and turned them off and checked everything so we could go to sleep (it happened at night). We left the hot ones off until an electrician could come out. We would have had a fire if we hadn't turned them off, scary!!

While this could be a serious situation, it could also be just one of the breaker switches going out. We had a faulty ARC fault switch (like a GFCI but for living areas instead of wet areas - required by our code now) and it would react as you are describing.