Menu

Book Organization

As we prepare to move for the umpteenth time, I am again wrestling with a good way to organize our library.

How do you organize your books? Do you label them? Do you use a spreadsheet or other software to keep track of what you have? Do you store books/curriculum resources in tubs by subject or are they all out all the time?

Since we are moving, I am again faced with trying to figure out where to put the books in our new house. I am considering storing books in tubs by subject, but if they were really well organized, maybe I could easily reshelve them in a neater way if we have the space.

Any ideas/tips/methods you find especially useful besides rough systems of throwing similar topics together and cramming them onto many shelves of varying quality (that's the current system!:D) ?

Best wishes as you pack & unpack!

This topic is oft-discussed here. I settled on putting our history books and science books in order of WTM sequence. It's easy to get the next ones, and not so hard for the kids to put things in their GENERAL location.

I put the easy readers in one spot, chapter books in another spot, and the high school lit in another spot. And then cram the extras all around!

Enjoy the opportunity to start fresh in your new home!

Guest inoubliable

We used a program called Collectorz for the longest time. Which sort of led to trouble for us... I ended up making my book addiction worse! Last summer, I rounded up as many books as I could fit into my minivan (about 2500 of them) and shoved them into the arms of the good folks at Goodwill. Now I just organize them on my Nook and Kindle. ;)

Mine are roughly organized by the Dewey Decimal system. Most fiction is separate, but historical fiction or others I thought I would use for a specific topic was shelved with the corresponding non-fiction section. I made some accommodations for my own personal needs and for aesthetics [eg I wanted the gardening books and books on flora to be near each other].

I'm still looking for the best program so I can quickly check whether I own a book, and where it would be. I have a couple apps that will scan barcodes, but as my DH pointed out, many of my books don't have barcodes. So, still searching. :/

I have bookshelves so they are out all of the time.

I have them organized in different ways. Some are by author, some by subject, some by genre. Then I have my son's books. THey are grouped by educational, easy read, picture books by author and subject. His books I've collected from when he's older are organized alphabetically and by classics and other well known books.

We used a program called Collectorz for the longest time. Which sort of led to trouble for us... I ended up making my book addiction worse! Last summer, I rounded up as many books as I could fit into my minivan (about 2500 of them) and shoved them into the arms of the good folks at Goodwill. Now I just organize them on my Nook and Kindle. ;)

that would hurt my soul to do that! LOL! I have books I collected as a child, and many favorites.

I don't keep every book I get, only those that fit into my collection. Many that I get from Goodwill will go back there or to the paperback trader.