Menu

Heading to Amish country in PA. What don't we want to miss?

We are taking a group of students to Philadelphia and Gettysburg next week and would like to take them through Amish Country. We will be staying near Lancaster. Where could we go that is inexpensive/free that would give the kids background about the Amish, beliefs, lifestyle, etc. I could spend all day in their quilt shops but I don't think the boys would be thrilled about it. I would love some ideas from the Hive.

If the Amish area is anything like Iowa's Amish area, you will have all sorts of opportunities to visit the shops. Sure, the shops have incredibly yummy baked goods and gorgeous quilts, but they also have tons of wooden toys, wood things, cool animal stuff, and old fashioned gadgets. They are fun for all ages! ;) Plus, just driving around looking at the huge gardens and all of the animals is kid-enjoyable!

Real shoo-fly pie! Usually you can find it at some of the Amish roadside stands. It's great warmed with vanilla ice cream or real whipped cream. :D

Just driving down a back road in that area will take you through the farming communities of the Amish, and you will be sharing the road with their horses and buggies.

You may already be planning this, but the Gettysburg battlefields are a must. So much of it remains as it was back in the 1800s. I love it there.

If you want a crazy meal experience, try Shady Maple Smorgasbord. It is insane. It is just tons of food, desserts, and drinks. Not sure there is anywhere else exactly like it. It also has a huge beautiful gift shop below it.

We moved from PA last year and this is the only place my dh says he misses ;)