Menu

How to Draw a Straight Line

I am interested in "How to Draw a Straight Line", but I have not seen any reviews for it outside of rfwp's website. Have any of you used it and can tell me what you think about it? Thanks!

:bigear:

Also, have any adults read Drawing with the Right Side of the Brain?

I know nothing about How to draw a Straight Line but did use Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain to teach myself to draw a good many years back (along with the workbook) and I enjoyed it a lot and it taught me a lot because I had no art background. I believe there is a curriculum where I live that uses it with 6th graders as part of a package.

Also, have any adults read Drawing with the Right Side of the Brain?

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is an excellent "how-to" drawing book for older teens / adults because its focus is in learning to draw on a plane what we actually see instead of what we assume we see. The exercises build to this in a logical sequence.

You might find criticism that it is a bit dry or technical in its approach; however, that could also be its strength. The author's perspective seems to be that ANYONE can learn to draw, and presents in a no-nonsense way the steps to take to learn to draw. It is not a book designed to fan into flame any latent creativity, but to build technical skill.

My husband teaches secondary school art, and uses exercises from this book in his courses. He also draws on exercises from the accompanying workbook.