Menu

IEW or LToW with Trisms??

I can't decide!!! I've used Trisms for a while now. I'm going to be using EoC in the Fall for my rising 9th grader. Trisms utilizes IEW in their lesson plans, but we've never incorporated it.

Now I'm thinking I need to. However, Lost Tools of Writing looks sooooo good.

So - any Trisms users who have used LToW instead of IEW?

If if helps - DS is dyslexic (among other things), doesn't like to write, but did a decent job at WriteShop. However, he got VERY bored with WS, so we've decided to move on.

I'd like to have him write on topics he is learning about in Trisms as we go through.

Arg. I hate being on the fence!!!

Until the last lesson on the comparison essay, LToW I essays are persuasive essays based on issues from a novel or short story. Some of the EOC literature selections toward the end of the year would work for this. However, for the first part of the year, I don't think the Trisms excerpts will work well with LToW. From your siggy, I see that you are using Learn to Write the Novel Way and Trisms this year, and I would suggest something similar for 9th; i.e. through LToW as a separate course unless you want to drop some of the Trisms lit assignments.

Kristy,

I've been researching this (IEW/Lost Tools) a lot, and joined both yahoo groups. There's also that DVD with the two Andrews that would be a good thing for you to view if you want to understand the differences between the 2 programs. IEW would be easier teacher wise because I saw there are some lesson plans you can get already done for you tying the Trisms & IEW together. From what I glean, IEW teaches more the structure, etc of how to write, while Lost Tools goes deeper into a more classical approach in helping the kids determine *what* to write/how to think & analyze---actually, in looking at Lost Tools the way they lay out step by step how to analyze things it actually reminded me of how they teach in lawschool. Both programs (once you're understanding the method) can be used 'across the curriculum and certainly with TRISMS.

Hope this helps in some small way :)

Paula