Menu

Math U See

Calvert and MUS are pretty different in sequence from what I understand. Calvert is a more traditional sequence and MUS is different so I would check into that. I've only used Saxon and ABeka for the lower maths so I'm not sure about more but the sequence of MUS is what concerned me the most. From what I understand, it is a math program that you need to be sure you are going to stick with to get the most benefit in the long term. My friend uses MUS and it is fairly teacher intensive. She watches the videos with the child and then they use the manipulatives to cement the info.

MUS uses a mastery approach instead of a spiral. The second book in MUS is pretty much all subtraction. The sequence is addition mastery in 1st grade, subtraction in 2nd grade, multiplication in 3rd then division in 4th.

If it were me with a child coming out of away school I'd buy Alpha and Beta and spend a year doing both. The very beginning of both books can be used as a review. Then move a bit slower through the rest of the book.

I would start at the beg. w/ Alpha b/c it couldn't hurt to review add/subtr. facts. Even if your dc has them all down cold...you could breeze right through it. In fact, you wouldn't even need to get the student text, but rather use your own examples if you are certain your child already knows most of his facts. Beta will move into multi-digit add/subt w/ and w/out regrouping and borrowing. Gamma covers mult. facts, multi-digit mult and Delta covers division facts/mult-digit div. MUS is very different from most math programs...even mastery programs. But, it is a good program.

MUS uses a mastery approach instead of a spiral. The second book in MUS is pretty much all subtraction. The sequence is addition mastery in 1st grade, subtraction in 2nd grade, multiplication in 3rd then division in 4th.

If it were me with a child coming out of away school I'd buy Alpha and Beta and spend a year doing both. The very beginning of both books can be used as a review. Then move a bit slower through the rest of the book.

Actually, that's not quite the case. :001_smile: Alpha is single digit addition AND subtraction, Beta is multiple digit addition and subtraction. So if he knows his addition and subtraction facts through 10, you can go right into Beta. There is a placement test on the MUS website.

MUS placement

My oldest also used Calvert for K and 1st and the best fit I found was Saxon for 2nd. He did not like Calvert at all and found it to be extremely boring. I switched to Saxon and while the first few lessons were review for him (which was great to get accustomed to the switch), he eventually got in step with Saxon and really likes it.

I looked over MUS and thought it had more prep work than I was used to coming from Calvert. Saxon had some prep, but I personally felt MUS had a bit more.