Menu

Looking for a novel...

Coffeemama

I'm looking for an historical fiction novel set in the early 1800s. We spent so much time on the Revolutionary War and need to move on. I'm trying to wrap up our history before the end of June and would like to cover up to 1850 so we can start next year with the Civil War. I have already made a checklist for the key topics she needs to research and outline (including a few biographies) but I want to add in a novel or two. Any suggestions for a great novel for this period for my DD11?:confused:

A good one would be Look to the Mountains by LeGrand Cannon. I read it several years ago so you might want to peruse it for appropriateness for an 11 y.o. but from what I remember it should be fine.

It is a beautiful story about a couple from Bedford NH (I think it was called Kettleford in the book) and they have to go up the Merrimack River to settle on unclaimed land. It's really a pioneer book about the settling of NH and there is a lot in it about town life, pioneering, and yes, the husband even participates in the Revolutionary War. I think he went to VT and describes walking there, the battle, etc so it wasn't just a passing mention of the war. It described this time period so well.

I highly recommend it and I looked--it is available through Amazon. We will definitely be reading this aloud when we get to the Revolutionary War.

I just looked at that book on Amazon. Sounds good, but I am looking for something set after the Revolution...1820s to 1850s.

Any thoughts?:confused:

ETA: one of my searches turned up a book called "The Big Sky". Not sure if it's appropriate for an 11 year old. Has anyone read it?

Edited by Coffeemama

My dd13 recommends New Found Land by Allan Wolf. It's about the journey of Lewis and Clark. It's recommended for 12 and up but I don't think there'd be anything objectionable. It's extremely well written, a story in verse, told from varying points of view. I loved it as much as my dd did.

DD13 also recommends these:

Seeds of Hope: The Gold Rush Diary of Susanna Fairchild, California Territory 1849 (Dear America Series) by Kristiana Gregory

Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie: The Oregon Trail Diary of Hattie Campbell, 1847 (Dear America) by Kristiana Gregory and Barbara Rosenblat

DS10 has been ripping through the Tucket series by Gary Paulsen. Those are set in the late 1840s.

Thank you all, those are some great looking choices! I'll share them with DD and we'll decide on a couple together. Glad to see a recommendation on something to do with Lewis and Clark, the ones I saw in the library looked fairly dry.

Thanks!:001_smile: