Menu

Help me simplify next year, please...

Ok, long story short...there is a good possibility that we may be moving over the summer (hopefully summer and not later) to be closer to dh's job. We also found out that baby #7 will be joining us in December. So...I am really feeling the need to simplify this next year. Yesterday was very overwhelming for me and I am second guessing everything. So I am hoping you guys can set me straight again ('cause my mind is not working, due to pregnancy, Im sure :D). Anyway, here is what we did/are doing this year...please feel free to offer any thoughts, advice or even plan out my year for me. Anything you have to offer is greatly appreciated!

2011/2012

dd16(10th) MFW WHL (minus the writing), Writing With Skill, Biology, Algebra 1, Art, Health

dd14(9th) MFW AHL (minus the writing), Writing With Skill, Biology, Pre-Algebra, Art, Logic

ds12(6th) MFW Explor to 1850, Math Mammoth 6, WWE4, Spelling Power, Pentime 6

dd9 (3rd) MFW Explor to 1850, Math Mammoth 3, WWE 2, FLL 3, AAS 2, Pentime 3

dd5 (K ish) Explod the Code books, lots of reading, a few math things

I was thinking about covering American History this next year (ds12 & dd9 need the 2nd half, dd16 & dd14 need the whole thing, but dd 5 can just join in to whatever we cover). Science is another issue for me. Both my older girls have finished biology this year, but dd14 struggled with algebra 1 so we dropped back to pre-algebra (Lials Beginning College Mathmatics) and she is doing well. We plan to move right into Lial's Introductory Algebra as soon as she finishes BCM, but doesn't that throw a kink into keeping them together foe Chemistry? Don't you have to complete algebra 1 before chemistry? So not sure what to do there...

I had also thought about switching to SL (using core 100 with older girls, and core E with the youngers), but am now wondering if it will really make life more simple, or not. My mind is swimming now, so I am going to stop and hope you wonderful people have some great ideas for me. Thanks you so much for any help you can offer. I really appreciate all the help and support I receive here on this board. Sorry this got so long...:tongue_smilie:

I don't have as many children as you do and have not been homeschooling for as long, but I just wanted to encourage you! I think SL, or something similar, is a great idea! Basically, give yourself a break and spend your school year reading good books! Other than that, just get the basics done! I have a friend with ten children who literally counsels mamas to take the school year off when they have a new baby. Now, this doesn't mean they do nothing, but they cut out the "extras," hit the three R's, and cuddle up on the couch with books. Her children range from 16 down to newborn, and they are brilliant, well-adjusted amazing children. That encourages me greatly, and I hope it encourages you, as well! :)

I just wanted to offer encouragement because I have been there. We moved 3 times in 2 years, we have only been in our current house for a year this June and the boxes and books are finally coming home from the storage units. I was horrified because DD7 didn't have a formal Kindergarten or 1st grade like I planned. Illness kept me from teaching DD5 her letter sounds at age 3 and 4. I did everything "wrong" according to the books. We were able to snuggle, read and when I was well enough play outside. Books and workbooks were buried in boxes deep in storage and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't make it work. I prayed and prayed and God saw us through. Somehow DD7 learned to read despite my lack of "teaching" DD5 is now learning how to read even though she is a year or more later in learning this than my olders. Now that we are settled in one place and have a routine I see how they are making up for lost time in leaps and bounds. God is good.

Thank you guys for the encouragement! I know this time will pass and life will settle down again. I just want to try an make it as smooth and stress free a year as possible when it comes to school. I am going to pull out my SL IG again and look through it and also check out the Simply Charlotte Mason site. Thanks again for your support and encouragement, my day feels a little brighter already. :001_smile:

If you want to do American history with everyone, maybe look at the Notgrass American history text for highschool for your older two and look at their America the Beautiful program for middle schoolers. American the Beautiful would fit your 12 yo perfectly. You could probably adjust it as needed for your 9yo.... you could read aloud the text to both or let the 12 yo read aloud to the 9yo if that helps her keep pace. You can use the Notgrass literature packs or a list of your own making. Also, American the Beautiful has two different "activity" books - one aimed at the lower age and one at the upper age of the program. (Map and timeline workbooks are optional too.) If you're interested in your 5yo doing the same, I would just look for picture books that follow the American history timeline. There are American History Step into Reading books she might be ready for soon too.

The one thing I do that makes our life easier, is share history. We all listen to Story of the World together, then I add extra books for the older ones at their level. I don't think I could handle doing 2 (or more) histories. Congrats on your pregnancy!