Menu

Please help me choose life science/biology for 4th grade...

Which one for 4th grade life science/biology?  

1. 1. Which one for 4th grade life science/biology?

• Elemental Science LOGIC biology (grades 5-7)
    • RSO Level 1 (grades 1-4)
    • Janice Van Cleave with library books...but how to schedule this???

We're going to do 4th grade life science/biology for next year. It has been difficult to find something that is written for this. The two programs I like best are Elemental Science Logic Biology written for 5th-7th grades and RSO written for 1st-4th grades.

I have Janice Van Cleaves Biology for Every Kid and have thought many times about combining this with library books and just keep science very simple, but I have since decided that I want a schedule to keep me sane. This 4th grader has 2 older siblings (7th and 9th) who will need my attention as well. Is there a way to schedule this?

Ds has been exposed to biology topics before... primarily BJU 7th Life Science and CPO Life Science. He would not be unfamiliar with the topics in ES Logic or RSO. He loves experiments. This year (3rd) he used Exploration Education with his older brother and LOVED it.

Please help me decide which science: ES logic biology or RSO or Janice Van Cleave with library books.

I'm most interested in:

• A schedule that will keep ME on track
  • Fun factor... science to look forward to
  • Experiments for ds; some writing (ES would be good for this.)
  • Science that will fit into at least a 5-day/wk 45 min/day schedule

FWIW, I have a LOT of life science/biology reference books... CPO Life, old Abeka 3rd and 6th grade books, Apologia birds and animals, RS4kids biology, etc... We've actually used some of these in previous years for this child, so I don't want to use them exclusively. I can see using RSO with these books for better background information.

My 3rd grade dd used ES Biology for the Logic stage this year with her older sister. She enjoyed it and did well. I had to guide her more in her end-of-chapter write-ups and had lower expectations. She would write 4-5 sentences while her 6th grade sister wrote several good paragraphs. IMO, you dd would do just fine with ES!

I have a soon to be 4th grader and we will plan on using RS4K biology. Definitely get the lab book and TM if you don't already have it. I also have a lot of Vancleave books. I wouldn't necessarily use them exclusively. But RS4K only takes about 10 weeks to complete. So you could just pull activities out of the vancleave books to supplement whatever else you are doing. If you're motivated you could do one an activity a week. I also plan on doing the GSA Dinah Zike Insects and Arachnids and then Physical Science.

A friend recently showed me the Singapore My Pals Are Here books---they look really good and they are two year leveled.

My 3rd grade dd used ES Biology for the Logic stage this year with her older sister. She enjoyed it and did well. I had to guide her more in her end-of-chapter write-ups and had lower expectations. She would write 4-5 sentences while her 6th grade sister wrote several good paragraphs. IMO, you dd would do just fine with ES!

Thanks, ladies. I'm mostly drawn to ES. RSO is my second choice. I like the JVC book, but since it's not scheduled, I'm not as likely to use this.

ES's strength is in the combination of experiments plus writing.

RSO's strength is its frequency of experiments, and the lab worksheets are beautiful!

I would probably add to each of these the resource books that I have already.

Arcara, did your student have any trouble reading from the Encyclopedia of Nature or Kingfisher? I'm just a bit concerned about the reading level; I wouldn't want ds to get frustrated with the reading.

I asked my question on the logic board, and someone suggested that RSO would be too light for 4th grade. Would anyone here agree? I really could ask a similar question about ES: Is ES too much for4th? I plan on helping ds either way. He will not be doing science alone.

RSO looks more fun. This kid loves experiments. ES looks like it goes deeper and lays a firm foundation, but ds might become bogged down in vocabulary, writing, and memory work.

At first I was leaning towards ES then I imagined ds enjoying all of the RSO experiments. Now I'm moving back towards ES. I'll take the time necessary to let myself settle into one before I buy anything.

Can anyone shed more light between ES logic biology and RSO for 4th grade?

Thanks!

Yes, I think RSO would be too light. There is minuscule teaching in the program and the activities are basic. Look at Mr. Q. You could us that as your spine and schedule in your Janice Van Cleave book and other readings. Just make your own schedule! We are running through M. Q Life now at the end of the year and it is easy to beef up by going deeper. Add in videos from neok12.com, brainpop, and readings from a science encyclopedia. it is easy as written but there is more to start with than RSO. Most of the deeper learning comes from the TM.