Menu

CW question

Targhee

Is Aesop required before beginning in Homer in 5th grade? I see the combo Aesop/Homer for older beginners, but they mean 7th grade or above.

DD is a reluctant writer, to put it gently. We used IEW with moderate success, but tears and frustrations as well. I am exploring all our language arts options right now. I like the idea behind CW, but I am having a hard time visualizing what the program looks like in every day implementation, and whether it will be a good match for DD.

You might look over the scope and sequence of Aesop on the CW website. If your student can do all those things, she doesn't need to do Aesop.

Homer starts with longer models, though, which gives me pause for a reluctant writer. How would she do with rewriting a fable? How would she do with rewriting a 2- or 3- page story?

I started my 5th grader with CW Aesop B, and worked through it until I felt like she had mastered retelling a fable. I don't know if that will work for you, but it's one option to consider.

I don't think I'd start a reluctant writer in Homer--it has a heavy work load. In fact we have been taking a month-long break from Homer. It was getting too stressful for my reluctant writer (and her writing phobic teacher ;)). I'm trying to get up the energy to start back up tomorrow...

If you want to see what CW would look like with a lot of hand-holding, take a look at Writing Tales. WT 1 & 2 are similar to CW Aesop. There are samples here.

You could see how your reluctant writer does in WT 2 before trying Homer. At the end of the WT Frequently Asked Questions, there is a note about placement. If your dd doesn't do well with the type of re-writing that WT has, she won't be a good fit for CW (probably).

Good luck!

I'd put a reluctant 5th grade writer back in Aesop B, or A if their writing skills are weak, and let their confidence build there before having them tackle Homer. Each Aesop level has 18 lessons; a fifth grade child would do one lesson a week. I did exactly this with my oldest, and don't regret it for a moment. His confidence grew by leaps and bounds, and he was into Homer in no time. By the time he got to Homer his writing and maturity had grown so much he did fine with the Older Beginner schedule from the core.

Thanks! I read more deeply on the website and found they really recommend doing Aesop first (as you all point out). Reading more on the website makes me question the compatibility with DD. I personally would love it, but I love language, words, and writing. DD didn't get that gene :tongue_smilie: