Menu

Handwriting/Penmanship

5Bmom

What do you feel is going wrong?

FWIW, I used HWOT with my first child, a little HWOT with my 2nd, and pretty much just free printables with my 3rd. I demonstrate the technique for writing a letter on a white board or piece of paper and the middle two kids then have a printing copy book. I am doing the same with my oldest using cursive.

I will say that they all did learn proper pencil grip by watching the oldest who has the HWOT training. Even the littlest has seen how the other kids hold their pencils and mimics it. So at least we have that step correct. :)

Part of it is he is fully ambitextris, so the "tails" (as he calls them) on some of the letters go different ways, depending on the hand he is using. He also cannot 'get' the lower k, e, and h...

What do you feel is going wrong?

FWIW, I used HWOT with my first child, a little HWOT with my 2nd, and pretty much just free printables with my 3rd. I demonstrate the technique for writing a letter on a white board or piece of paper and the middle two kids then have a printing copy book. I am doing the same with my oldest using cursive.

I will say that they all did learn proper pencil grip by watching the oldest who has the HWOT training. Even the littlest has seen how the other kids hold their pencils and mimics it. So at least we have that step correct. :)

My favorite handwriting course is in Writing Road to Reading. It doesn't require any handwriting worksheets, because it teaches the child scripts for each letter, that are taught during phonics/spelling lessons. It then allows easy copywork from any book.

The handwriting instructions in Writing Road to Reading can be applied to any phonics curriculum. You don't have to use their method of teaching reading and spelling.