Menu

Had to file my first paypal claim ever....PSA

I just had to file my first paypal claim in 20 years of homeschooling. I had purchased a LARGE expensive package of curriculum on another site and communication was good throughout. Except that I didn't receive my package and the dc# I was given shows that it was delivered to another address in another state. At first I thought it was an honest mistake, but as I started searching on the other site I discovered that I was one of many who had been mislead in this manner. The seller refunded some of the buyer's purchases but there were others like me who are still waiting for a refund. The seller's emails are now bouncing back, thus the need to file a claim which will take 11 days before any money can be refunded through paypal. But I am thankful that at least it will be refunded.

This has just really been a sad experience for me because we, as a homeschool community, are usually very trusting and honorable people. Fortunately I always keep a copy of every email until transactions are completed, but this is just too bad.

I almost always use cc paypal because for me paying the fee is usually just as cheap as purchasing a money order. Plus, this would have been an "ouch" if this had come from our checking account. Regardless of whether or not you use cc or regular paypal I would encourage you to not use personal paypal because of the lack of protection to you as the buyer. Some of the ones who were defrauded used personal and if she hadn't done the right thing by refunding them they would have had no recourse. I don't know if all who used personal actually did receive their refund. You can look on paypal's website to see that you have to select the "purchase" tab and not the "personal" tab and select "goods" (tangible) in order to be protected. https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/popup/UAeBay-outside

Just wanted to give you a heads up while this was fresh on my mind. Also, perhaps more sellers will begin accepting paypal other than personal when they realize there are NO protections for the buyer. If I am wrong on any points about paypal, please feel free to correct me.

Hope this helps someone else.

Blessings,

Penny

ETA today: Well, just found out that someone else "bought" the same material as I did. :confused:

Edited by Penny from Tenny
update

I'm sorry you have had such a hassle. I had something happen on another homeschool board 3 years ago. It always deflating since it is easy to think if it is a homeschool board, people are trustworthy. Thankfully, I have only had one experience like that. Good reminder about paypal. Thanks for sharing!

I just had to file my first paypal claim in 20 years of homeschooling. I had purchased a LARGE expensive package of curriculum on another site and communication was good throughout. Except that I didn't receive my package and the dc# I was given shows that it was delivered to another address in another state. At first I thought it was an honest mistake, but as I started searching on the other site I discovered that I was one of many who had been mislead in this manner. The seller refunded some of the buyer's purchases but there were others like me who are still waiting for a refund. The seller's emails are now bouncing back, thus the need to file a claim which will take 11 days before any money can be refunded through paypal. But I am thankful that at least it will be refunded.

If this is a racket, it is weird. What is she gaining? Or is there a screw loose.