Menu

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint: Talk to me about it if u hv painted w/it...pls

i have a couple of pieces of furniture that I would like to paint using annie

sloan chalk paint -- they are pieces that we will use in our guest house.

I've read a couple of blogs about ASCP, read FAQs, looked at a ton of photos.......but nothing would be as helpful as hearing from someone here who has used it.;)

TIA

thank you!

I was only finding info on various blogs and I wanted to read things from ordinary everyday people who just want to paint some pieces of furniture. These links are helpful.

Edited by MariannNOVA

I'm just doing my kitchen cupboards with it now!

LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I had glossy poly coating on my cupboards and never thought I could remodel them, because NO way was I going to sand/prime/etc all that and we don't have money to have anyone do remodeling.

A little goes a long way. I did all of my lower cabinets with a quart of color A and upper cabs with a quart of color B. One can of the wax should do the whole thing 3 times - I'm still waxing and buffing, waxing and buffing.

Did I mention I love it? :D

I'm just doing my kitchen cupboards with it now!

LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I had glossy poly coating on my cupboards and never thought I could remodel them, because NO way was I going to sand/prime/etc all that and we don't have money to have anyone do remodeling.

A little goes a long way. I did all of my lower cabinets with a quart of color A and upper cabs with a quart of color B. One can of the wax should do the whole thing 3 times - I'm still waxing and buffing, waxing and buffing.

Did I mention I love it? :D

I am probably going to get started this week -- question: the light wax and dark wax...can you tell me which is used for 'what'?

I am probably going to get started this week -- question: the light wax and dark wax...can you tell me which is used for 'what'?

Yep. The light wax you will NEED - it seals (probably not a perfectly precise word there) the paint; makes it durable and water resistant. The dark wax is used for aging it. Or actually, if the color you plan on buying is your dream color but just too light, I suppose you could use the dark wax as your main wax.

Anyway, most people use 2 coats of clear wax unless on a high-traffic/wear piece or portion of piece, then more layers. Then dark wax on areas to make the piece look aged that would normally have wear on them. Good videos on this at Miss Mustard Seed, I think it was.

There's one lady online who actually used the chalk paint on her kitchen counters; she used something like 4/5 layers of wax - but that's a kitchen counter. I am using 2 on my cupboards with the exception of the most used drawer faces, like the silverware drawer, where I'll use 3.

Oh, I am SO lazy (plus my dh was out of town and I was hurrying to surprise him). I just left everything in place. I mean, I didn't even empty anything (didn't paint the insides of the cupboards). The only prep I did was to clean with a degreasing cleaner and slide the drawers out - didn't even empty the drawers!

I stole one of my children's little paintbrushes to go around the hinges and the whole thing worked perfectly.

Two coats of the chalkboard paint were needed, and that second coat is odd to put on as the first coat is grabby (as you can imagine if you imagine painting over a chalkboard).

Yep. The light wax you will NEED - it seals (probably not a perfectly precise word there) the paint; makes it durable and water resistant. The dark wax is used for aging it. Or actually, if the color you plan on buying is your dream color but just too light, I suppose you could use the dark wax as your main wax.

Anyway, most people use 2 coats of clear wax unless on a high-traffic/wear piece or portion of piece, then more layers. Then dark wax on areas to make the piece look aged that would normally have wear on them. Good videos on this at Miss Mustard Seed, I think it was.

There's one lady online who actually used the chalk paint on her kitchen counters; she used something like 4/5 layers of wax - but that's a kitchen counter. I am using 2 on my cupboards with the exception of the most used drawer faces, like the silverware drawer, where I'll use 3.[/QUOte

thanks -- i watched some videos regarding technique and process last night and it is all making sense. thanks again -- can u put up some photos of your cabinets?:001_smile:

Alas, something is wrong with my camera and it needs to go to the camera spa pronto but will have to wait until payday!

Here are some pics of other people's kitchen cabinets that I gathered in the research phase of this, though

Pro uses "Old White"

Another use of "Old White"; this lady uses stencil as well

Last one with "Old White" - this one is delicious!

This kitchen is done in "Paris Grey"

Here we have one done in "Old Ochre" upper cabs, "French Linen" lower cabs.

Another kitchen in "French Linen"

Some cabinetry, not a whole kitchen, in "Chateau Grey"

One more: this one uses "Country Grey" on the bottom cabs and "Old White" on the upper cabs.

I'm after an old-country-French-bistro type look and used "Olive" on the bottom and "Old Ochre" on the uppers. There are so many delicious colors, though, that my older dd's and I spent hours and hours agonizing over the selection!

Alas, something is wrong with my camera and it needs to go to the camera spa pronto but will have to wait until payday!

Here are some pics of other people's kitchen cabinets that I gathered in the research phase of this, though

Pro uses "Old White"

Another use of "Old White"; this lady uses stencil as well

Last one with "Old White" - this one is delicious!

This kitchen is done in "Paris Grey"

Here we have one done in "Old Ochre" upper cabs, "French Linen" lower cabs.

Another kitchen in "French Linen"

Some cabinetry, not a whole kitchen, in "Chateau Grey"

One more: this one uses "Country Grey" on the bottom cabs and "Old White" on the upper cabs.

I'm after an old-country-French-bistro type look and used "Olive" on the bottom and "Old Ochre" on the uppers. There are so many delicious colors, though, that my older dd's and I spent hours and hours agonizing over the selection!

Thanks again -- i went and read every link (and of course, those linnks, have links :D) :D-- I can see that deciding on a color(s) will be challenging. My first project will be a coffee table, a sofa table, and an armoire in our guest house.

I need to choose some curtains before I decide which color(s) to use, but I think we should all post pictures of our projects when they're done. I'm planning to paint a Queen Anne-style coffee table and matching end table, a "governess table" (a high, delicately shaped end table), and possibly some shelves/trim in our family room. I'm still in the Pinterest stage :D of doing some redecorating.

Wendi

I need to choose some curtains before I decide which color(s) to use, but I think we should all post pictures of our projects when they're done. I'm planning to paint a Queen Anne-style coffee table and matching end table, a "governess table" (a high, delicately shaped end table), and possibly some shelves/trim in our family room. I'm still in the Pinterest stage :D of doing some redecorating.

Wendi

I'm leaning toward the Paris Gray, French Linen,

Old Ochre, or something in that vein. I am begnning to think that this paint is as easy to use as everyone says. Good thing -- I have to get the guest house done -- heather and her family will be here in july -- and now that I have furniture and a plan, I am itching to get started.