Menu

Workbooks to go with Strayer-Upton Arithmetic

lorisuewho

I was at the PA Homeschool Convention today and I went to an Amish-run stand. I saw these gray soft-covered math workbooks that simply said "Arithmetic 2," "Arithmetic 3" etc. I asked the gentleman if these were the workbooks that Gordonville, PA publishes for the Amish schools, and he said, "No, you can't get these anymore. These are the workbooks we used to go with the Strayer-Upton textbooks."

Once I found a workbook pubished for Grade 1 by Clifford Upton, but I had never heard of a series of workbooks to go along with the Strayer-Upton textbook series.

Has anyone heard of this? The workbooks do not say Strayer-Upton anywhere on them, but they certainly are in the same style.

I had heard there were Strayer-Upton workbooks all the way up to grade 8.

I just got my Miller price list yesterday, but it does not contain descriptions. There are "Arithmetic Workbook" 1-8 and "arithmetic Starter" 1, "Growing Up With Numbers" 2-3, "Growing Up with Arithmetic" 4-6, "Making Arithmetic Plain" 7-8. The Arithmetic Workbooks 1-5 say (orange).

There are spelling and geography, and they have the Thorndike junior dictionary for $10.00.

The Study Time flashcards are $26.00 for grades 3-4. It says grade 5 are new and has not been published yet.

The only way to communicate with Miller is to use my recently acquired CGE letter writing skills. I guess it's time to practice my letter writing skills again.

Okay, I think the orange books are the ones published by Gordonville.

I've seen the "growing up with numbers" and they are similiar to the books I purchased today that just said "Arithmetic" on them. I think the "Arithmetic Starter" is also an orange book, but maybe I'm wrong and that was Arithmetic Primer. I think the Amish need to come up with some other titles instead of just using "Arithmetic" over and over and over again. I don't believe I have seen the Making Arithmetic Plain at all.

That is a better price on the junior dictionary than what I paid at Clay. Ironically, even though it is published by Gordonville, I couldn't find it listed on the price list they sent me. They also require letter writing skills and patience for communication.

Interesting about the flash cards not being published yet.

Okay, I think the orange books are the ones published by Gordonville.

I've seen the "growing up with numbers" and they are similiar to the books I purchased today that just said "Arithmetic" on them. I think the "Arithmetic Starter" is also an orange book, but maybe I'm wrong and that was Arithmetic Primer. I think the Amish need to come up with some other titles instead of just using "Arithmetic" over and over and over again. I don't believe I have seen the Making Arithmetic Plain at all.

That is a better price on the junior dictionary than what I paid at Clay. Ironically, even though it is published by Gordonville, I couldn't find it listed on the price list they sent me. They also require letter writing skills and patience for communication.

Interesting about the flash cards not being published yet.

Study Time is new. The books were written one at a time. I'm not sure how long the textbooks have been finished. I was glad to solve the flashcard mystery :-)

I got my Gordonville McGuffey Spelling. It has the older style penmanship and is pre the orange and blue McGuffey, so I'm not sure what version the Gordon McGuffey's are. I discovered Landmark freedom has a literature program written around the orange and blue McGuffey's and I'm very interested to learn more about that. The audios go with the Orange and Blue and I like the cursive font.

I'll probably be purchasing the paperback orange and blues along with the Landmark curriculum. CBD is on back order with the one I want to try out, and Landmark won't ship to a PO box. I think I'll have to wait to June till CBD is back in stock. Or take the chance of having UPS deliver to the fake ground address that they purposely don't deliver to, that the the Post Office is trying to outsmart them with, to compete with them. I need to be sure to have a tracking number if I do that, so better call on Monday if I do that.

I am having to work SO hard to spend my money lately :-0

I got my Gordonville McGuffey Spelling. It has the older style penmanship and is pre the orange and blue McGuffey, so I'm not sure what version the Gordon McGuffey's are. I discovered Landmark freedom has a literature program written around the orange and blue McGuffey's and I'm very interested to learn more about that. The audios go with the Orange and Blue and I like the cursive font.

I am having to work SO hard to spend my money lately :-0

Gordonville doesn't have anything McGuffey listed on their catalog. They may not print that anymore.

I never heard of the Landmark literature program. I will have to check that out.

And funny about working so hard to spend money!!

And as a funny story, after this Amish gentlemen talked me into buying a couple of these workbooks to go with Strayer-Upton, and telling me how Strayer-Upton is the best math curriculum ever, I went to check out and his two daughters were running the cash register. They appreared to be about 10 years old or so. My bill was $9.23. I gave the girl a ten dollar bill and a quarter. She couldn't make the change. I had to give her a little guidance. Maybe he didn't use strayer-upton with his own children!

Gordonville doesn't have anything McGuffey listed on their catalog. They may not print that anymore.

I never heard of the Landmark literature program. I will have to check that out.

And funny about working so hard to spend money!!

And as a funny story, after this Amish gentlemen talked me into buying a couple of these workbooks to go with Strayer-Upton, and telling me how Strayer-Upton is the best math curriculum ever, I went to check out and his two daughters were running the cash register. They appreared to be about 10 years old or so. My bill was $9.23. I gave the girl a ten dollar bill and a quarter. She couldn't make the change. I had to give her a little guidance. Maybe he didn't use strayer-upton with his own children!

I'd just figure that even if he used the curriculum, the child might not have the ability to be at grade level, or doesn't care enough to think that hard, or many other options. But, it is an ironic and funny story :-)

So the workbooks you got are out of print? I'm really interested in any Strayer-Upton supplements. I want my math paced out to weekly assignments, and to be told EXACTLY what are the main problem sets, and what is extra drill. I can tweak, but want an example of what is a good general plan.

That is interesting about Gordon and the McGuffey's :-0.

The Landmark curriculum is using the 6th McGuffey reader for 6th grade :-0 Are they nuts? I'm curious to see if the curriculum is a helpful supplement to the readers, but expecting an average 11 year old to read that book is...just...mean :-0 I was reading some of McGuffey 6 this morning and thinking, there is just NO way :-0 I read somewhere recently than the average 8th grader didn't finish the 4th reader, and that is the old rigorous style 8th grade diploma, where kids stayed back multiple years if need be. Even the subject matter is really advanced, never mind the difficulty level.

I wish I had read this last post of yours before I went to convention today. Then I would have taken a good look at the 6th grade Landmark. As it was, I was thrilled to see their booth after you mentioned it. I really only looked through the 2nd grade thoroughly. I thought it was great.

I am dying to see this whole curriculum. Grade 3 has a lot of dictionary work. Grade 4 has book report templates. From the little bits of samples I have seen, I believe this will be a strong resource for me. I just fail to see how anyone would follow this for 6 years x 36 weeks exactly as written.

On the McGuffey CD I bought, there are alternate readers, and I downloaded a set of NEW McGuffey's. And of course there are the Motts Media and Moore editions of the older versions, but they don't line up exactly with the New, Alternate, and Eclectic.

So I will just spread out the levels over more than one year, as people have been doing for almost 200 years.

Most of the time I doubt I will even need the Alternate and New editions, as I use the Bible and Bible story books, so often as readers. And if I have a student who is just doing reading, and not CGE and Study Time math, then I could always supplement with Pathway without suffering Amish overload.

And then there are...gasp...real books :-) I'm excited to see the Landmark grade 4 book report templates to see if they are applicable to multi grades.

For dictation and copywork, I can't imagine a series better than McGuffey's. This is as classic as Spalding handwriting. There are some things that are written so efficient as to remind me of a mathematical equation. Sometimes we don't want math like efficiency, and would rather do it the fancy way. But I love to discover the ultra efficient resources in case I want to use them. It was the discovery of the McGuffey word list, that made me fall in love. Teach each word, Spalding like, and the student will never encounter a word in the reading books that they have not been TAUGHT first. This makes copywork and dictation so much easier.

I bought the CD with the Revised and Alternate series here. It also came with teachers manuals, a set of progressive readers and the speller and the word list and some books about animals. I don't know anywhere else you can get the word list. Samples are here.

CBD is the cheapest place to get the audio downloads.

I ordered a copy of the Landmark's Literature, but quickly canceled my order.I just don't want to take the chance of adding any more contradicting phonics into my mish mash of resources.

• 8 years later...

I was recently at a local Plain bookstore where they sell lots of homeschool books. I found an orange, soft-covered book by Upton for each grade. It also had an identical book to go with it with all the answers written in! They were under 5 dollars each. The only reason I have not purchased it yet, is because there is little to no instruction. The Strayer Upton Practical Arithmetic books have, I think, a concise explanation of new topics throughout the book. I plan to go back to the store with my Strayer Upton book, and compare the table of contents in the S/U book, with the Upton workbook and see if one couldn't use the S/U textbook in tandem with this orange book. If that does not work out, I plan to print the free PDF of the Hamilton's Arithmetic books and have them spiral bound at my UPS store. I am weary of making copies of the Strayer Upton pages, and my children struggle with the small cramped spaces on such a little page. The Hamilton book looks as though the same person wrote it as the S/U books. We can always use S/U to further explanation if something isn't preferred. 

PS I cannot find these Upton books on line anywhere. If anyone would like, I can follow up on this post with what I find out.

• Like 3