Menu

Can somebody tell me about Developmental Math?

I am not familiar with that program, sorry.

I wanted to let you know about a math program called Stern Structural Arithmetic. It was recommended to me by a psychologist when my ds9 was diagnosed with dyscalculia. I have seen a few posts on this board in the past, but I don't think it is really popular here. It (of course) is kind of expensive. Here is a link:http://sternmath.com .

I actually did buy it, but my youngest ds seems to be making adequate progress with MUS. I do plan on trying it this summer with my oldest ds (12), who has a diagnosis of PDD-NOS and is currently in ps.

We started and then gave it up because it was really, really repetitive and just not a good fit. We were both very bored. JUMP Math worked better at the beginning, and now we've moved onto CLE which we like a lot better. A little of everything each lesson...

We started and then gave it up because it was really, really repetitive and just not a good fit. We were both very bored. JUMP Math worked better at the beginning, and now we've moved onto CLE which we like a lot better. A little of everything each lesson...

This was our exprience too. However, CLE only worked for a year or so. We had to move onto MUS. I think it helps my ds to switch from time to time...a fresh start and a fresh approach does wonders for his, er...our, morale. ;)

Edited by Geo

I've used it with my ds8 this year and he absolutely loves it! I started him in level 2. When he started he could only count to 10 and barely recognize any numerals. It is very repetitive but I think that is what has help my ds grow in his math ability. We are just now finishing up level 3. We could have moved more quickly but we've had a rough year so I was pretty lax with his lessons. DM is written directly to the student which for us didn't make a difference as my ds can't read. The instructions are simple enough that sometimes he just knew what to do without me having to read the directions. If you look it up on Rainbow Resource, it lists all the levels and what is covered for each level. There are instructors guides for each book but so far we haven't needed them. The program was develop for students to use independently. Therefor the instructors guides are really thin and I think are just there in case you may need extra help once in awhile.

HTH!