Menu

Advice on where to get help for PDD

I have suspected my son has a PDD (probably Aspergers) for a while now, and I got to talk to the primary care pediatrician today. She guessed what I was suspecting without my telling her after just talking to him for five minutes! She said I could take him to see a Developmental Ped or a Psychiatrist, but I don't know how to choose. Apparently the only Dev. Ped. near me isn't taking new patients, but the thought of a psychiatrist is kind of overwhelming (and the list the insurance company emailed me doesn't match what I fond doing my own online search on their website) - so I'm really confused!

Help! Should I try to find another Developmental Ped, or would a Psychiatrist be better? What providers have offered the best services for those with kids with PDDs?

Edited by Gailmegan
Typos

Okay, so after 2.5 hours on the phone I found a Developmental Ped - an hour away - that would see my son in 9-12 mos. I kept calling psychiatrists on my insurance company's list, none of whom would do an assessment for a PDD, and finally found one 10 minutes away who would see him June 1st for an evaluation. I think the decision has been made for me. :tongue_smilie:

But I'm still open to opinions and personal stories. I had one friend suggest that I have an OT evaluate him, but his PCP didn't offer that as an option. :confused:

I came on here to ask where you live, then realized I could see that you're in Delaware if I only just slow down...

I would look into local universities. I know the college I attended (UC Davis, yay!) has an amazing program called the MIND Institute and my girlfriend has her two boys on the spectrum very active there. Sometimes universities will have studies and programs that can offer free time and resources. You may have to get past the idea that they are studying your kids- my friend's husband resented at first thinking they would feel like lab rats. Nothing could be further from the truth, they are THRIVING in this program.

I know there are lots of moms here with way more experience than I have, but I just wanted to respond to help bump your thread. And think about reading the book "Shut Up About Your Perfect Kid!" The sisters that wrote that book are 1) hilarious and 2) full of experience and advice.

Good luck!

I waited 6 mos. for a developmental pediatrician for the original diagnosis of autism, and then when I decided to consult a pediatric neurologist about DD's hypotonia, she was able to see us within 3 weeks. Turns out she could've done the original diagnosis for us (she gave us formal written concurrence, which I wanted as DD had not yet formally found eligible for continued Regional Center services at that time).

I would call around to pediatric neurologists in your area to see how long the wait is for an ASD evaluation.