Menu

Questioning Grammar

Emagine

I like CLE and have used it for a few years. It was the best choice at the time for my spiral learning child.

There are things that really get under my sons skin. Like the marks, using all the reference books (I do not have a huge set of Encylopedias etc)

I have been looking at Easy Grammar and Daily Traits on Timberdoodle and wondering if a more gentle approach would be beneficial. Most days it takes an hour plus to do Grammar.

He is not a FLL, MCT kid or such. I just need down home, to the point, easy to understand lessons with out the fluff.

Advice welcome please.

CLE does more than just grammar, doesn't it? grammar, punctuation, spelling, writing, penmanship (depending on the grade level), composition?

If you want only grammar, then my first choice is Easy Grammar. My second choice...ok, I don't have a second choice. :D

Of course, you'd want something else to make a complete English course--composition, spelling, etc.

It does do spelling, though he is delayed here. We use the spelling part to figure out sounds, ex: find the er sounding words etc.

We use AAS and Evan Moor Spelling as a back up and that is working.

He has not began the cursive yet, in 300 unit, because he just mastered writing.

Spectrum kid but bright, gets over whelmed though with a lot of fluff and stuff.

I like the look of EG as for as grammer goes. He gets most of it. Diagramming was a cake walk for him. I am also peering at Growing with Grammar online. So lost.

I like the look of EG as for as grammer goes. He gets most of it. Diagramming was a cake walk for him. I am also peering at Growing with Grammar online. So lost.

:grouphug:

Ok, so he's young. I wasn't sure of his age. :)

And that's the good news. Most native-speakers of English are not going to need to study the grammar of their own language for 12 years, so you don't have to rush into anything. Take your time.

I would wait for EG until he is able to do the fourth grade one. Until then, you can talk to him about capitalizing the first word in a sentence, and putting some sort of punctuation at the end. Then you can do fourth grade EG, followed the next year by Daily Grams, and the next year Easy Grammar Plus, and then, if you want, one more year of Daily Grams.

:)

He is 9, but mid way in the 300 unit so a little behind. It has just become too much fluff and it gets to him.

Does EG actually have instructional learning he can read? He does good this way. An example I saw said to write the prepositions. Well, he needs to know them first and this looked like lesson 1 in the G3.

You might just want to skip those parts. I don't think they continue into 4th grade. Because of the spiral approach, some things are repeated way to long and often for needs, so after they get it, I just have skip that part. HTH

He is 9, but mid way in the 300 unit so a little behind. It has just become too much fluff and it gets to him.

Does EG actually have instructional learning he can read? He does good this way. An example I saw said to write the prepositions. Well, he needs to know them first and this looked like lesson 1 in the G3.

The list of prepositions is included in EG. :-)