Menu

HOD users, thought?

Dustybug

We reached the midway point in LHFHG a few weeks ago and to celebrate, we've been doing a unit study on gardens to take a break for the regular routine. We are year round schoolers, but I like to go lighter in the summers, so I'm thinking of dropping LHFHG for now to pick up at the beginning of DD's 1st grade year and from now on just continue unit studies and math/phonics/reading at a regular pace with the units. I know I can do it, but I also have a schedule in my head and really wanted to start BLHFHG in the fall. I don't want to make it a routine to have to finish one guide/start another during the "regular' school year, but at the same time, I put pressure on myself to chug through the rest of the LHFHG guide if I continue there and I"m worried that I"ll push too hard during the summer months that way. Thoughts?

If I were you, I would just focus on math/language arts during the summer, read some great books, spend lots of time outside doing fun things (that are also educational:)), and enjoy the summer! I don't really think you are going to miss much by not finishing LHFHG. Just start fresh with a new guide in the fall and go from there! The only problem you may run into if you are planning on continuing with HOD is where your daughter will be when it is time to do Preparing. But that is several years away:)

We are going to be just on unit 13 of beyond when we break for summer. We just plan to pick up where we left off when we begin again in the fall. We'll begin the Bigger guide after Christmas. It really works any way you do it! :)

If I were you, I would just focus on math/language arts during the summer, read some great books, spend lots of time outside doing fun things (that are also educational:)), and enjoy the summer! I don't really think you are going to miss much by not finishing LHFHG. Just start fresh with a new guide in the fall and go from there! The only problem you may run into if you are planning on continuing with HOD is where your daughter will be when it is time to do Preparing. But that is several years away:)

That's what I would do for the summer if I decide to drop HOD for now, but we will finish the LHFHG guide. It's really just deciding whether I go ahead and finish it now or wait and do the other half in the fall.

I think it is really up to you. My dd will be in unit 19 of Beyond when we break for summer. For the summer we are going to do review and study geography and Earth Science. I plan to just have her pick up where we left off in the fall. When she finishes we will continue with math and reading and do our own thing for the rest and she will start Bigger a few months before she turns 8. Her birthday is Oct. 31st so she is technically in K right now, but we started LHFHG when she was 4.

I'm looking at it from an older kiddo point of view. I'd so stretch out the younger guides so you hit Bigger in 3rd. I've only gone through Bigger and it was perfect for my 3 & 4th graders. My 3rd grader is bright and a very strong reader. The material wasn't hard, but she was able to really enjoy it. Preparing looks like a jump that my girls would have struggled with this yr, but are ready now I think. CtC looks like another big jump. If you rush the younger yrs, then you will need to supplement a yr in somewhere if it gets to be too much.

I'd vote for fun unit studies! I loved doing that when my girls were that age!

I forgot to mention that we did that last year also my dd started LHFHG in fall of 2010 and finished it in fall of 2011. We started Beyond in October. I'm just trying to stretch the younger guides out a bit for her since she started so young.