Menu

Pre-history for Kindergarten?

In preparation for doing SOTW in first grade I was thinking of doing a pre-history unit for Kindergarten. This would include all of the things that 5 year-old boys already love: the planets, basic geology, dinosaurs, the ice age, and early man.

Any one done this and/or have any fabulous resources they can suggest? We are secular.

We did this as a summer prehistory course using Usborne History Encyclopedia as our spine - it has 100 pages on prehistory :)

Ds still enjoys Aliki's Fossils book. He also has a dinosaur encyclopedia replete with pictures.

Edited by sagira

One thing I thought was helpful was the History of the Earth Timeline. They used toilet paper (too fragile), I used fabric scraps (not worth the effort), my Dad used a roll of register paper. We unrolled it down the hall, and then on through most of the upstairs. We read (highlights from) a section of The Beginning, by Peter Ackroyd and then walked along the timeline. Having it all laid out helped impress how long a period we were discussing.

In preparation for doing SOTW in first grade I was thinking of doing a pre-history unit for Kindergarten. This would include all of the things that 5 year-old boys already love: the planets, basic geology, dinosaurs, the ice age, and early man.

Any one done this and/or have any fabulous resources they can suggest? We are secular.

In addition to dinosaurs and fossils, we read through lots of In The Beginning: Creation Stories from Around the World and Kipling's Just So Stories. Both were a wonderful introduction to longer and more complex stories.

The Bill Nye book on dinosaurs was a huge hit here when DS did pre-history as a k-er. It has several great hands on projects.

We also did a jello fossil record that the kids enjoyed. (It looks cool, but is just several layers of different colored jello with different stuff in each layer. It helped DS with the concept that the deeper we went in the cup, the older the things were.)

I almost forgot, there was also a book called Jurassic Poop that DS found very amusing and informative.