Menu

Scheduling Building Thinking Skills 2

mommyto4

I plan to start Building Critical Thinking Skills2 with my 9 yo son in August. I was wondering how people schedule it. Do you work through the book in order, or jump around? I plan to take two years to complete it.

Thanks in advance!

Here is the way it was explained to me by someone at the Critical Thinking Co. table at a homeschool convention.

The first half and the second half of the book use "different sides of your brain". (Sorry that is not a very scientific or intellectual way to describe it.) Each day you use the book, do one page from the first half and one page from the second half. For example, I started out with a bookmark at page 2 (in chapter 1), and another bookmark on page 156 (in Chapter 6). I have my kids do one page at each bookmark on the days we use the book.

As you are progressing through a chapter, the difficulty gets higher. If the exercises become too difficult, stop doing that chapter, and skip to the next chatper. For example, when/if my child doesn't understand how to do the exercises or if they are too difficult in chapter 1, then we quit chapter one and go on to chapter 2.

When you get through all of the chapters this way, go back to the beginning (chapters 1 and 6) and do the exercises that you skipped the first time through. The second time through your child may be able to get it because his brain has developed more in regard to abstract thinking and other necessary skills.

Does this make sense at all? If not, I can try to clarify.

Here is the way it was explained to me by someone at the Critical Thinking Co. table at a homeschool convention.

The first half and the second half of the book use "different sides of your brain". (Sorry that is not a very scientific or intellectual way to describe it.) Each day you use the book, do one page from the first half and one page from the second half. For example, I started out with a bookmark at page 2 (in chapter 1), and another bookmark on page 156 (in Chapter 6). I have my kids do one page at each bookmark on the days we use the book.

As you are progressing through a chapter, the difficulty gets higher. If the exercises become too difficult, stop doing that chapter, and skip to the next chatper. For example, when/if my child doesn't understand how to do the exercises or if they are too difficult in chapter 1, then we quit chapter one and go on to chapter 2.

When you get through all of the chapters this way, go back to the beginning (chapters 1 and 6) and do the exercises that you skipped the first time through. The second time through your child may be able to get it because his brain has developed more in regard to abstract thinking and other necessary skills.

Does this make sense at all? If not, I can try to clarify.

Thanks! This is very helpful!

I was also told that one half (the verbal I think?) has more pages and it might be better to do 1 page in figural to 2 in verbal at times. He also said that because it does get harder at the end, if your child is finding it easy, start at the end of each section and if they can do those easily you can move on.