Menu

The Right Start Abacus with other math curricula?

amselby81

First off, I don't know how to use an abacus. But a few of you have recommended the al abacus that is used with right start. It's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Desktop-Abacus/dp/B001V9ACMK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336500358&sr=8-1-spell

I'm interested in using an abacus, since it seems to be a traditional math manipulative that has been forgotten, but should I attempt it if I don't know how to use it? And would it be to hard to incorporate it into a different curriculum, like MUS or Horizons?

I bought this at the Midwest HS Convention: http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/004083/81dddd4a18c920ab2a8dd58d

I thought we could try it with Saxon. I dont really know how to use one either, but i figure well learn together. It cant hurt to try something new. It might help C learn her facts better.

ETA: your Abacus is the same as mine, except mine was cheaper by a few dollars.

I bought this at the Midwest HS Convention: http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/004083/81dddd4a18c920ab2a8dd58d

I thought we could try it with Saxon. I dont really know how to use one either, but i figure well learn together. It cant hurt to try something new. It might help C learn her facts better.

ETA: your Abacus is the same as mine, except mine was cheaper by a few dollars.

I think that's the same abacus that Rightstart uses.

I used one for a little while when teaching my son addition and subtraction using Singapore. It was just a more visual/kinesthetic way to learn. I googled the directions for the al abacus to find out how to use it. If I remember correctly (it's been several years) the directions were on the Right Start website. If you're interested, I'd be glad to sell you mine. We don't use it anymore.

I was wondering if I could use one with Singapore. I was looking at RS's math games package and it comes with an Abacus....

I didn't know how to use one either (still don't, LOL)...but after reading some of those sites linked above, I think I could manage it now. :D

The one at RR is the same one as the one you posted, just in case you're wondering. I have the RR one and the one that comes in the RS A package - exact same one, brand name and all. ;)

Math Mammoth 1B teaches use of the abacus. That's how I learned. It was pretty easy to use. I can't say that we've used it since then, as the son that went through MM 1B doesn't typically need manipulatives, and my next son has been using C-rods, which I absolutely adore. :D

If you order from RightStart it comes with a little booklet that shows the basics of using this abacus and a few activities for it. I think it could be used with any math program, but I think it would be easiest to use in other math programs if you already know how to use the abacus. I love using RS math through first grade and then switching to another program because it builds such great foundations of math concepts (and it's scripted!) and I learn some things as I teach it.