Menu

I was wondering if any of your dysgraphic children have had success with cursive writing? I'm asking because my 7 yo, despite multiple HWT programs, resists picking up his pencil to make multiple strokes when he prints. He will trace over the previous stroke to avoid having to pick up his pencil. For example, when making a T or t, he will make the big line down, and then retrace it up to make the horizontal stroke. I'm wondering if he might do well with cursive. I figure it's worth a try.

It's definitely worth a try. Many dysgraphic students actually do much better with cursive writing. They tend to do best with scripts that are somewhat similar to the corresponding manuscript form, rather than loopy, cursive styles. Have your tried the Handwriting Without Tears cursive? The other major cursive style that gets recommended for students with handwriting difficulties is the Zaner-Bloser style. The Zaner-Bloser has a bit of a slant. Some students don't do well with the more straight up & down of the HWT.

I, personally, have used Getty-Dubay Italic with my children. One child with initial handwriting issues did well with G-D Italic cursive; my youngest didn't and we simply stayed with the G-D manuscript and practiced that for too many years to count. That child now has keyboard & other technology accommodations written into his 504 plan for college.

We went through HWOT for printing with my dyslexic/dysgraphic dd and she ended up hating everything about writing. THis year, we spent the first part of the year doing the Writing 8 exercises via the Dianne Craft suggestions and then just recently started dd on cursive just using regular, cheap online cursive sheets and she likes doing cursive MUCH better. I think she sees cursive as "big girl" handwriting.

If your kids is highly kinesthetic, in addition to HWOT you could try something like Loops Hoops and Other Groups.

Oh, we also took the opportunity with cursive to get dd to use a pencil grip and rework her pencil grip;) No tears with cursive, many tears we had with printing.

If your kiddo doesn't do well with cursive, then move on to typing!!!! We're going to have our dd learn typing next year (4th grade) anyway.

Paula

My dd has dysgraphia and it was recommended that she do rhythmic handwriting. She hasn't started it yet so I can't comment on if it works but I have heard good things from those who have done it. I can't recommend a program though.

Retrain the Brain Has anyone tried this?? I'm gonna start a thread about it, maybe. I'm interested in ordering it for my son, who I am pretty sure will be diagnosed with ADHD...

I just checked out your link. This is what has been recommended for my children. Not this specific program but this handwriting process. It is supposed to help ADHD children immensely but we have not started yet. We are scheduled to start in 2 weeks.