Menu

What book for beginning math problem solving - 6th-7th grade?

HeidiKC

I really want to get my ds working on problem solving in math, and am wondering where to get started. He is very good at math, but we've only done Saxon (finished 7/6) and Life of Fred Decimals. Oh - and the Key to series (Fractions, Decimals, Percents, first Algebra book). We tried Singapore Challenging Word Problems, but I could not get the hang of the bar charts - and probably didn't spend as much time as I should have on it.

I've looked at AoPS Beginning Problem Solving (is that the correct name?!) and it looks great, but I'm wondering if it'll be too hard for someone who has not done Algebra (and just beginning pre-algebra) or any serious problem-solving curriculum. We have Edward Zacarro's Challenging Math. I like it pretty well, but I think I'd prefer something that teaches in a more straightforward manner with specific lessons and answer key. Another book I looked at is Creative Problem Solving in School Mathematics (MOEMS). Any thoughts on this? I can't find any samples to look at.

Finally - what do you think about trying the minis on the Mathcounts website? They have a few questions to try, then you watch a video, then finish with a few questions. Would these be way too hard for someone that doesn't have experience with problem-solving? Or are they do-able, especially with help from parent?

Thanks!!!

ETA: As someone mentioned, I do realize that Singapore CWP are nowhere near as hard as Mathcounts, etc. I just would like something that is explained in a way I can more easily understand (instead of only the bar method) and help explain to him. He can often do the CWP in his head, but neither of us are very clear on the bar charts - and in all honesty, not too interested! Is that bad?! Do bar charts HAVE to be the first step for us? I can understand the explanations in the AoPS samples for problem solving, but the CWP books frustrate me. I'd rather go another route.

My husband has and Electrical Engineering degree and is very good at math and is going to be working with him on this. I've shown him the bar charts, and while he seems to get it, I don't think it's the approach he'd choose to use when solving problems. So there must be another way!

I'd love feedback on the following, for someone wanted to get started with problem solving:

- Creative Problem Solving in School Mathematics (MOEMS)

- AoPS Problem Solving Vol. 1

- Mathcount minis (the videos and problems)

- other suggestion

Edited by HeidiKC

I have to say that the problems in Singapore CWP tend to be much more straightforward than math competition problems. If your DS can't do CWP, I suspect he would find the MOEMS and other competition problems way too frustrating.

Possibly, but when I read the samples from the AoPS Problem Solving Vol. 1 book, I could understand what they were teaching and I imagine I could then explain it to him if he didn't get it. This is a dumb question, but surely you don't have to use bar charts for every math problem in competition?! I just did not get those, never used them before (but of course did some math problems in high school and college without problems), and couldn't understand the explanations. I know people have said you really need to read the book that explains more in-depth how to use them...and maybe I should. But I'm thinking I'd prefer a different approach if it exists. Seems like the bar charts might be best for certain types of learners - I don't know...visual? DS could figure out many of the Singapore Challenging Word Problems, but it wasn't using the bar charts. Often it was just in his head, which I know is not how it's supposed to be done! He does score 99 on ITBS in Math, and it has always been very easy for him - he just hasn't had much exposure to hard problem solving.

Creative Problem Solving should work (I bought it recently but haven't used it yet). Alternatively, consider using AoPS Prealgebra for your regular math curriculum this next year; it takes most of its problems from math contests.

Creative Problem Solving should work (I bought it recently but haven't used it yet). Alternatively, consider using AoPS Prealgebra for your regular math curriculum this next year; it takes most of its problems from math contests.

Thanks...I'm considering it.

Look at Hands on Equations verbal problems. Lots of different types of problems; with three different levels of each type.

Just spent the last couple of hours looking at this - looks GREAT! Thank you! I think it will be wonderful for ds2 as well.