Menu

Math for 7th and 8th: Calvert or Art of Problem Solving?

Greta

We're probably going to be using Calvert for 7th and 8th (though if you've read some of my other recent threads, you know I keep going back and forth on this issue), but even if we do, I'm not sure whether we should use their math or use AoPS.

Our first math program was RightStart, which we absolutely loved until we hit a wall with the way it taught division in Level D. But overall, I really love this program, its teaching style, and the sort of mathematical thinking upon which it is based.

Next we tried MEP and I really loved that as well. My daughter got a bit bored with it, and asked to try something else, which I now think was probably a mistake. (I think I should have just bumped her up a level instead of changing programs. But if hindsight is 20/20 my view of the present and the future certainly never is!) I liked the way this program was designed as well.

Our next tries were CLE, which she liked only for as long as the concepts were review, but not when we got to new material, and Saxon, which was a total disaster. The rapidly spiralling approach that they use left my daughter very frustrated. These were not a good fit at all.

So based on that "mathematics history", can you advise me as to whether Calvert or AoPS might be a better fit for her?

What sort of teaching style or approach do these use?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

We just started AoPS for my 7th grader (we change grades in April-May).

She was currently doing MM and she hated it: the slow moving pace, the repetition.

The way AoPS works (so far) is this: they give you problems--no real info-just use what you already know to try to solve this problem.

They then explain how they solve the problems in the book, then we watch the videos (maybe you're supposed to watch them first -- I don't know) Then you solve the excersises (only about 5-10 per section).

The problems can be frustrating, and so far this is mostly theory: trying solve a problem by using the definition of addition to solve a subtraction problem.

Watch the videos in the pre-algebra section--this will tell you about the types of problems they work.

DD really likes this program, she hates a lot of repetition and loves to solve problems. I am worried about how much is sticking and am trying to find a used math u see prealgebra as a back up (MUS was my second choice program for HS).She likes problems and puzzles and is good at "seeing" the big picture.

I am fairly certain this will be a good for two of my children and a miss for the other two.

DD10 likes MM, and isn't upset by the repetition.

She gets easily frustrated with logic problems and starts to cry with having to puzzle out things.

She will hate AoPS.

I have a child (DD 8) that is a logical learner and right now having problems with reading (thus the LOE I just ordered).

She is doing Miquon and doing well with rods and making jumps with the logic of math presented.

She will like AoPS.

I have a child (DS7) who is an intuitive learner. He wants the facts, no rods, he gets frustrated with them making him figure out stuff (He is switching to MUS or MM). For instance he wants to know the multiplication tables and memorize them, the rods irritate him by making him "see" repeated addition.

He will most likely not like AoPS.

HTH

Lara

Lara, thank you for your help! My dd hates a lot of repetition, but at the same time, I think she needs it, you know? So that part is a tough call. But thanks for mentioning the videos - I will check those out, and hopefully that will help me decide. She does seem quite good at the logical thinking and puzzle type problems, so maybe it will be a good fit for her. Thanks again!

It is pretty much a mastery program. The book is divided in chapters according to topics but each lesson has a few review problems and then there is the end of the chapter review and also the end of the unit review. The units don't stand alone though. For example, in the unit on fractions, there are word problems based on fractions but all four operations are needed to solve them. I suggest that you talk to one of the educational counselors or a representative at the school about what the math is like. We have used the Saxon high school math books which are quite different from the Calvert math books. The Calvert math books spend time explaining the new concept per lesson and most of the problems are based on the new concept. Saxon introduces a new concept briefly and then puts up many different problems from previous lessons for practice.

I've never seen the CLE or Right Start and I looked over the MEP online. MEP seemed so dry to me. Sorry I'm not much help but I do know that my son needs to be taught the math before he can approach any word problems which AOPs doesn't seem to as much as Calvert does. Is your dd the same way?

Emily, thank you, that helps me a lot! My concern was that I had heard Calvert math described as spiral, and I did not think that would work for my daughter. But mastery based lessons, with good review that includes previous concepts, would probably be perfect for her! And I'm not sure how well she would deal with being challenged to solve a problem without having received some explicit instruction first. She is good at math, but I think she might find that frustrating. Plus it might make my life easier if we just use Calvert for everything! (On a totally selfish note.). Thank you!

We like Calvert Math, but we like Teaching Textbooks better (four kids doing school - including the two middle ones who are time intensive - so having something teach them a subject is quite helpful for me) :lol: The older two are using TT now. My oldest son completed 2nd and 3rd grade math with Calvert and part of fourth. He's got dyslexia and dysgraphia and we've found doing math on the computer (TT Math 4) works so much better for him than having to write it (where his 5's and 2's look pretty much the same sometimes - we're working on that, but it's a slow process). My daughter did 7th and most of 8th. She's doing TT Algebra I now and doing fabulously with it. My third child is still doing Calvert Math. He's 5, but pretty advanced in math. He's completed K and 1 math and is almost halfway through 2nd grade math. On a whim I gave him the TT Math 3 placement test and *he already* places into it. He's watched Times Tales a few times and is learning his multiplication facts (the only thing that stopped him from placing into Math 4) and he'll start TT Math 4 when he finishes Calvert 2nd grade math. Calvert Math is VERY solid and well laid out just like everything else Calvert does.