Menu

What are your opinions of "Life of Fred" Algebra as a summer review text...

Dd is finishing up pre-calc right now, and is scheduled to take Calculus next year. But again, and again, her weaknesses in basic algebra keep cropping up. Unfortunately, these weaknesses have become evident in her ACT and SAT math scores. This summer will be dedicated to shoring up her math skills. I've already purchased Life of Fred Geometry for her to review. But what she needs most of all is a good algebra review. Her weakness stems from me having trusted the public school system to teach her math in Junior High and High School. I've discussed this here before. She was getting straight A's in school, so I incorrectly assumed all was well. She is also a math phobic. She really hates math, but realizes it is a necessary evil. Now clearly, I cannot blame everything on the public school system. There are plenty of kids that go through their program and score well on the ACT and SAT. But it has been a combination of my lack of vigilance, her math phobia, and inflated grading that has brought us to where we are today.

If you have any other ideas for my dd, please share. She is a hard worker. She is dedicated. I am not a math teacher. She needs to self-teach this review. Thanks for your help!

I am :bigear:

I think you have a good idea. :thumbup: LoF Algebra was challenging for my ds. Partially, it did not fit his learning style, partially hormones got in the way.

But, LoF is challenging and entertaining. Since this will not be her first exposure to Algebra, it will likely work well. If she is math-phobic, the format will lighten the mood.

HTH!

Edited by Sue in St Pete

I have no experience with LOF Algebra but I just wanted to say don't beat yourself up for dd not having mastered algebra before. I live in a highly regarded school district and many of the students do well because they've had tutoring outside of school.

Both of my dc's enjoy LOF. Dd has done them all -- currently working through calculus. I think it will fill in what she is weak in quite nicely. Don 't forget that the Khan academy is there if she needs more explanation.