Menu

Rod & Staff Math Question

Would a child be behind in math in they followed did Rod & Staff math at grade level?...I have seen a few posts to indicate that R&S math is best used one level above grade level, but is that really necessary?...Memoria Press seems to use it at grade level without a problem, so I am wondering the Hive's thoughts on this...

Would a child be behind in math in they followed did Rod & Staff math at grade level?...I have seen a few posts to indicate that R&S math is best used one level above grade level, but is that really necessary?...Memoria Press seems to use it at grade level without a problem, so I am wondering the Hive's thoughts on this...

Most people use it at grade level. :)

The first three years seem "behind" because there isn't lots of geometry and algebraic-looking kinds of concepts, but don't be fooled: R&S is teaching age-appropriate, solid, basic arithmetic. At fourth grade, R&S's scope and sequence is comparable to other publishers', but the students are totally grounded in basic arithmetic and truly ready for those more advanced concepts.

Also, folks whose dc have used it through 7th or 8th grade report that their dc were able to go to any publisher's algebra with ease.

I have kids using R&S math above grade level, but I wouldn't say that's best across the board. A kid ought to be placed in where their skill level is, regardless the number on the cover. If you complete the books at grade level you'll be right on time for algebra 1 in 9th grade. A kid who knows the math inside out and backwards for the book with their grade on the front ought to move up.

One of mine stayed on grade level in R&S; that was precisely where he needed to be. It was hard for him to stay on grade level, some chapters were repeated, but it made him a strong math student. (We moved him out of R&S at prealgebra so he could adjust to his new curriculum before algebra 1. To say he resists curricula changes would be an understatement.)

My other kids worked or are working in books above their actual grade. They are there because that's where their math skill level is, not because I find fault with R&S's scope and sequence. They either worked through levels quickly, or placed into a higher grade book when they first began the series. They're "mathy" kids, and would place ahead in most math curricula.