Menu

Grammar that teaches diagramming after FLL?

justLisa

I was thinking of using Easy Grammar for next year 4th grade grammar, however I notice it uses a different approach. Is the traditional diagramming or this way superior? Does it matter? I do NOT want to continue with FLL4, but we completed FLL3. I don't know that it has been very effective, however DS can diagram a sentence all day long.

If your DS can diagram sentences well, but you're unsure if FLL was effective, perhaps your DS needs to translate/integrate grammar with writing. Grammar learned in isolation to writing, in my opinion, does not work. The whole point of learning grammar is to use it when writing. Have you looked at either Shurley English or Hake Grammar? Both are secular and both need to be adjusted to suit individual needs. I'm sorry to say neither is self-teaching. Parent participation is fundamental to the learning process.

If your DS can diagram sentences well, but you're unsure if FLL was effective, perhaps your DS needs to translate/integrate grammar with writing. Grammar learned in isolation to writing, in my opinion, does not work. The whole point of learning grammar is to use it when writing. Have you looked at either Shurley English or Hake Grammar? Both are secular and both need to be adjusted to suit individual needs. I'm sorry to say neither is self-teaching. Parent participation is fundamental to the learning process.

Well I'm totally not opposed to involvement. I just don't like the scripted, I have to sit in front of him the whole time element of FLL. I agree with you there about integrating with writing. I was thinking EAsy Grammar looked pretty simple. I thought hake started at 5th grade but I can look at it and see if it would be too advanced.