Menu

Can we move right into First Form Latin from GSWL?

I would say yes, but take it slowly with a 4th grader. My DD11 began First Form with the DVDs this year (5th). She really likes the program, but probably won't finish until August, this is after having one year of Prima Latina in 4th. An older student can start FF with no prior Latin. IMO it moves relatively quickly and covers a lot. HOpe that helps!:001_smile:

I would agree w/Coffeemama, with the following questions for thinking:

How did your ds do w/GSWL? If he is really comfortable with the material, FF (at whatever pace he is comfy) would be just fine.

If he is still a little shaky & you want a further foundation (with some review), LC 1 at whatever pace would be good.

If he really liked the sentences to translate, you could start Henle at a slow rate, especially if you are going to be trucking right along with him. :auto:

I like the hand-holding Memoria Press gives me, so I'm going that route.

I would say yes, but take it slowly with a 4th grader. My DD11 began First Form with the DVDs this year (5th). She really likes the program, but probably won't finish until August, this is after having one year of Prima Latina in 4th. An older student can start FF with no prior Latin. IMO it moves relatively quickly and covers a lot. HOpe that helps!:001_smile:

That does help. Thank you!

Edited by Medieval Mom

I would agree w/Coffeemama, with the following questions for thinking:

How did your ds do w/GSWL? If he is really comfortable with the material, FF (at whatever pace he is comfy) would be just fine.

If he is still a little shaky & you want a further foundation (with some review), LC 1 at whatever pace would be good.

If he really liked the sentences to translate, you could start Henle at a slow rate, especially if you are going to be trucking right along with him. :auto:

I like the hand-holding Memoria Press gives me, so I'm going that route.

He's done very well with GSWL, and he loves the sentences to translate. :)

It sounds like any of the three could work, depending on how much emphasis we want to put on Latin next year.

Thanks!