Menu

Pride and Prejudice

kailuamom

Lydia runs off with Wickham and they live together awhile before marrying. And Wickham trying to seduce Darcy's sister is discussed. It's been awhile since I have read it, but those two things stick out. I think Emma would be "cleaner.":D

Michele

Thanks, Michele!

Well, Emma has Harriet who is the 'natural' daughter of somebody or 'nother (meaning she's illegitimate). Then you have Frank Churchill and Emma making jokes and insinuations that a married man was in love with Jane Fairfax. I think 11 years old is too young for Pride and Prejudice or Emma. I think she'll miss all the irony. I don't know. I love Austen so much I hate to see her under-appreciated. I think the themes are more adult, even though they are clean by today's standards. I think they should be read during the teen-aged years when they can be understood fully.

My very humble 2 cents!

Well, Emma has Harriet who is the 'natural' daughter of somebody or 'nother (meaning she's illegitimate). Then you have Frank Churchill and Emma making jokes and insinuations that a married man was in love with Jane Fairfax. I think 11 years old is too young for Pride and Prejudice or Emma. I think she'll miss all the irony. I don't know. I love Austen so much I hate to see her under-appreciated. I think the themes are more adult, even though they are clean by today's standards. I think they should be read during the teen-aged years when they can be understood fully.

My very humble 2 cents!

Good points. She reads above her grade level, and asked about the book after seeing part of the movie P&P...but I am trying to weed out any "mature" themes that she may not be used to.