Menu

Placement into FLL/WWE

My 9 year old is almost done with Rod & Staff English 3. I think he could manage WWE 4 but my gut tells me to go with 3 because he does not like to write anything original. He does very well with copywork, oral narrations, studied dictation, and has a nice cursive but he struggles with spelling and that has held him back in writing his own sentences. He is able to answer questions about passages he has read but hasn't had any real practice with summarizing. Instead, we have been doing longer oral narrations where he basically tells back most of the passage.

I'm thinking he probably needs to go through WWE 3 to get him to the point of writing his own sentences. We are going to work on his spelling and I think that will make a huge difference for him. I really think that is what is holding him back in writing. I think if he were confident with his spelling he would be able to get his thoughts down on the paper.

I'm not sure if we should go with FLL 3 or 4. 3 looks very easy though there may be a few things in there he hasn't covered in R&S 3. Does it matter if the levels don't match?

Thanks for any help!!

I would not hesitate to use FLL 4. Both FLL 3 and 4 are very gentle, and iirc, FLL 4 did not seem to go very far beyond FLL 3. FLL 4 may assume that the student does not need as much time to memorize various definitions and lists, so if you need to spend longer memorizing, then feel free to slow it down. I think FLL is easy to use on grade level or even a grade level ahead. WWE, on the other hand, seems more challenging, and appropriate to use a grade behind if needed. I would not hesitate to use FLL 4 and WWE 3 at the same time, and I dare say there are probably a good number of people who do.