Menu

Behavior and outside help, opinions?

Ds's mood this morning reminded me of this...

He has a weekly MT (mobile therapist). She's usually with us for about 2 hours on Wednesdays.

He also has a TSS (theraputic staff support) that is here about 4 hours per week. We've had bad luck with these people because they do not have to have any specific background or education.

Our current TSS is our third since we've been here. Our first was ok, but then I dropped the services. We started again and I could not tolerate the TSS. So now we're on our third and I'm not happy at all.

The TSS's job is to assist ME in making ds do what he needs to do. She's supposed to follow the MT's plan. The problem I've had with both (recent 2) TSSs is that they lecture him too much, do not understand a lot of what he says, and really have done nothing to improve his behavior.

Something needs to change, but I can't decide which way to go-

1- Increase (and change) TSS to 10 hours per week. This would hopefully be someone who would be here a couple hours daily, or a longer time for a few days. Right now the TSS is here for an hour. NOTHING can be accomplished in that hour. Ds is stubborn and he needs someone who can QUIETLY wait him out. When the TSS waits a half a second and then starts lecturing, the hour is up and nothing was done.

2- Toss the TSS altogether and just work with the MT. She understands that ds's sensory problems are not defiance. She has seen his bad moments and understands why I take the precautions I do. We've had long conversations about why his behavior is so hard to change (cycling through motivators), and she has never said that I just need to put my foot down (he pushes harder and aggressively). She knows that I know what I'm doing, but with 2 of them, I can't be perfectly consistent which is why we've had the TSS.

The MT also doesn't say anything about putting them in school, which is something that the TSS comments on, even though she homeschooled her own boys years ago.

Most days are :glare: :confused: :willy_nilly: :crying: :banghead:

I already have my boot camp plan, but it seems that outside help is just getting in the way (I can't toss them completely right now).

If I wasn't in such a high regulated state, I wouldn't be scared to address both kids behavior and do some lite schooling. Maybe we should move to NJ for a year!